z

Young Writers Society

How to plan out my novel?

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 pm
annaswanson48 says...

I like using the Roman Numeral way of plotting, but is there a better way to plot out your novel? And is there a program that you use to plot your novel?

Here's what the Roman Numeral way looks
Introduction:
I. The first sub-topic

A. First supporting information or detail for the sub-topic
B. Second supporting information or detail for the sub-topic
C. Third supporting detail or information for the sub-topic

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 pm
tinkembell says...

O.o that looks interesting.

Anyhow, the way I plan is with this method, which is based off the idea that there is a formula to an awesome novel (some of it I don't agree with, but it's easy to change to your own prefrences). Basically it creates a plot outline in eight steps, and then you go through the articles (ten I think) that develop it, ending with the last one where you do the outline. Overall it's a really good website, even if it's not what you're looking for :P

As to the program question, no. I have a novel writing software thing, but I don't use it untill I start writing. (there is a handy plot timeline though ^^)

Also, welcome to YWS! If you need anything just pm me ;).

Good luck with your novel,

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

There is no real "better way to plot." What works for one will not work for another, and it's all about experimenting to find the best method.

That being said, my method is the index card method. That is, I write out all scenes I have planned on index cards (or in small chunks on a word document, if I'm feeling mildly lazy and don't want to pull out my index cards). It doesn't matter about order; just write out the scenes as they come. Or any scenes you've been coming up with over the time you've spent thinking about your novel.

Then, put the scenes in order and see if there are any gaps. Either fill them in with ideas or full-out scenes, or leave the gaps there to have some excitement writing. Also, try not to write out the full scene in your outline notes. It leaves nothing to put in the actual story, and can be pretty limiting.

Once you've got a timeline with a bunch of points along it, you're ready to start writing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I don't plan. Or rather, I only plan out nonfiction pieces. I've found that planning out creative pieces only ends in never-really-started projects for me.

That said, some of my writerly friends swear by the Snowflake Method.

As for programs, yWriter and Scrivener are the two that I've heard most often about. Some folks also use OneNote.

I personally use pen and paper.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 am
Tatra says...

I usually open up a chapter in LSB and then just ramble on about my plot. I start at the beginning and try to continue on through the middle to the end. When I get stuck I just ask myself 'what happens next. What is the if-then consequence to what happened before?' I also go through and ramble on about the characters while I'm plotting, figuring them out. It's a bit difficult to navigate sometimes, but I usually remember it enough to write the story. And sometimes my story does deviate away from the outline, but I always find that I can bring it back with a little more plotting. :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 am
Emerson says...

I've gotten really into organizing my novel based on a three-act set up.

I wonder if I can find the site that helped me with this...Yes, I did! Click this and read the article to learn about writing novels and the three act structure!

See the cool picture with the yellow/orange/red on it? I draw one of those in my notebooks and use it to figure out where my scenes are going to go. I always know my main plot points, and I figure things out with respect to that. Granted, I haven't finished a novel while using this method... but I love the organization of this method.

I also love Scriviner but someone else already mentioned that. <3
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:56 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

For my novel, I plastered my dorm wall with sheets of newsprint paper and drew three points: the beginning, the middle, and the end. From there I drew a line to each point, documenting every plot point that led my character along the timeline. It became the basis of my story's plot. As I began to write I drifted a little from what I planned, but the main premise stayed the same. I had documented so much on that wall that the first book has to end before it even reaches the middle point that I put up there, but it provided me with the guideline that I needed. With each chapter I write I know where my character has to go, and it's only a matter of figuring out when and how to get him there. Planning it out ahead of time means I don't have to think about how the story is going to end while I'm writing it. Instead I can focus on what's happening now rather than later.

Of course, most people don't have that kind of wall space. I'm sure there are computer programs that can do the same thing, and admittedly I'll most likely be doing the planning the same way for my next book but in Photoshop instead. I'm a very visual person, so having the outline up where I can always see it helps a lot.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee