z

Young Writers Society

Need some advice, please.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:58 am
Fishr says...

I have a strange question. In normal instances, if someone insulted you, you wouldn't want anything to do with that person, if ever again.

But what if you knew this person fairly well, well enough that they were considered a friend and this friend just blatantly insulted you. How would you offer amends so the friendship wouldn't disappear?

I'm asking because I have a character (Samuel, who is in his early twenties) that is overly proud of clothes he constructed himself, but unfortunately society doesn't agree. A man (around in his thirties) has insulted Samuel's clothing, not intentionally, but Samuel gets offensive, and attacks the man's wealth.

So, if you were the man, and you still valued the friendship, how would you respond and what would you do to rekindle it?

I've hit a minor writer's block and I don't know what to say, lol. So, Any advice/opinions or POV's would be great. I really appreciate the help.

Thank you. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:15 am
Elelel says...

Well, personally, if a friend just insulted me I'd probably turn into a whining little puppy and follow them around asking what I'd done wrong and why they said it and cringe every time they looked at me. That would be if it was an outright insult. If they were being a bit critical of something I'd go all quiet and try and figure out what they don't like about me and why and whether it's my fault or not, and I'd probably never talk about it.

If I'd been the one to stuff up, and knew it and was remorseful, then I'd get very apologetic. If the person won't accept my apology I might try to do something special for them. I don't know really.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

362 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:20 am
Fishr says...

More opinions are definately welcomed but El, I think you have me an idea.

:) :o
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:58 am
Snoink says...

If they blatantly insulted me... hmm... it would depend.

If they're insulting me for a reason and I realize that I'm in the wrong, most likely I'll act a little bit more pompous and arrogant, mostly to hide any hurt on my part. Still, it's just hiding, and I would be remarkably hurt underneath. Especially if a friend did that. Actually, that would probably hold true whether I was in the right or not. :P

But it really depends on how strong the friendship is. If the friend is only casual, then I would ignore that person. That is, I would remove that person from my life. There are some things that aren't worth worrying about, and a demeaning "friend" is not cool.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:14 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

ok, my friends are weird, somtimes the response is "F*ck you" or another insult, sometimes it comes to half hearted blows (just screwing around), others they apologize if appeared hurt, sometimes we just burst out laughing. Mainly we just get on with our lives and forget about it.

For stories, well they aren't like my friends, but we don't have enough information to be giving a really good take on things. What is the man's personality, and such. How was he insulted? those basic things, then build off that. Make yourself a list of questions pertaining to it and answer them (they sometimes help). But if you work hard all your life on something and someone says it sucks, or something mean about it, it would piss you off allot...

so the wealthy man should try to apologize in the best way possible. he could buy all of his friend's work (the stuff he insulted), and pay extra for it. He could also just come out and say he is sorry, and give a really good explination.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

362 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:45 pm
Fishr says...

:)

Thanks everyone. You guys gave me some excellent ideas how to approach this problem.

DQ, I will try what you suggested, also. Thank you.
fishr

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:34 pm
Prosithion says...

well, this is a dilemna. I don't really think that there is any way for the rich guy to totally mend the rift, because he's insulted Sam's pride. Then again, he can just suck up to Sam, and maybe Sam will forgive him.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

362 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 pm
Fishr says...

Hiya Prosithion!

Thank you for your input. I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 pm
Wiggy says...

I really don't have any suggestions. Creativity is certainly on a short fuse right now. But I'll keep ya posted!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

214 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 pm
Prosithion says...

hiya back. sucking up sometimes works, but more often then not, it just insults the person more. This, as I've said before is an issue with pride. Pride is a wonderful, yet terribly inconvenient thing.

362 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 pm
Fishr says...

Awesome! Thank you for the input. Pride... What an evil little thing. I'll keep your advice in the back of my mind.

214 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:14 pm
Prosithion says...

^_^

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman