z

Young Writers Society

Stradegy for writing

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 am
Ultimateanon says...

This stradegy that I used really helped me with the chapters in my book. Before I started writing anything, I opened a new journal then grabbed a pen. I already had the plot, characters, basic storyline, creatures, etc in my head before I even started anything. Since my book will be a series, I wrote down the name of the first book then gave a brief short description about what will happen in that book. Such as:

Girl runs away from her home and travels out of that state. Girl find an abondoned house and decides to stay there for the night. Finds a hidden room then goes through series of doors before noticing that she stepped into a magical world called Blah. Meets unexpected creatures during her path of traveling through this world, meets evil king and he tortures her. Girl escapes from that world and returns back home.

For the record that is not my book's plot, and I'm a huge fantasy land. So I'll do something like that for every book, and I don't even add names either. So after when I was finished with that, I flipped to a nice clean page and at the top underlined, I put "Chapter One." Under that, I put bullets points of events that would happen only within that chapter (It made my writing go by faster too).

Example:

Chapter One-
Girl gets in fight with her mother
Girl goes up to her room and stares at the empty suitcase
Girl puts clothes in her suitcase, and food, then closes it
Girl watches the sun goes down, goes out of her room
Girl makes sure that everybody is asleep then grabs her suitcase then heads outside
Since girl lives on farm, grabs a horse then rides away
Stops by a Motel for the night, yet forgot to bring some money, can't be in motel.
Finds shelter under a tree and decides to sleep there
Girl eventuly goes to sleep, having nightmares of being eaten alive by wild animals.

So something like that, and I didn't even start writing writing the first word of my book until I inished the events of each chapter. Also, if you're mkaing a series, I would write the events of the first three chapter of the next book so that you will already be ahead and that you will get a somewhat idea of what will happen.

Hoped this helped!

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:16 pm
writerwithacause says...

Great tip!
Last edited by writerwithacause on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:16 pm
View Likes
writerwithacause says...

That's pretty much what I do before starting a novel. Writing with no idea of what will happen in the enxt chapter will sooner or later prove to be the road to writer's block.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

Reviews: 2
Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:20 pm
RowanLocke says...

I do exactly the opposite. I do a lot of planning in my head and then just start to write. I only start to write notes (either in a notebook or on Microsoft Onenote- very useful for planning) after I've started writing. When i try to plan out the whole thing first i find that later on I want to change the plot or that characters have developed differently and don't suit the actions I have planned for them. I guess everyone has their own style!
Last edited by RowanLocke on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

Yeah, same here. I do a little bit of planning in my head then write. If I plan everything out, the story comes out forced and I give up on it too soon. I think it's more exciting to let the characters do what they will, because it's their story, not yours.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf