z

Young Writers Society

Every Writer is Different

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 am
View Likes
stargazer9927 says...

I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I'm hoping this is the right place :)

In my opinion many writers seem to miss out on this one thing:

WRITING IS A FORM OF ART. Every writer is different. Some spend an entire paragraph talking about moving across the room, others just state, "he moved across the room." Neither are wrong. Some use a ton of punuation in their poetry, some use the basic amount, and others don't use any at all. Neither are wong. Rick Riordian is a top seller, he's a very simplistic writer. Stephanie Meyer is a top seller, she uses a ton of detail. Neither are wrong.

I can imagine what everyone told Pablo Picasso (I hope I spelled that right) when they first saw his art. I'm sure they laughed because it was "different." But look at him now.

Now I'm not saying good writing skills aren't needed and you shouldn't try to get better. That's far from what I'm saying. I believe any writer should improve themselves, but in the process find their style and what they like to write. Personally, detailed writing bores me and I'm a very get to the point person. I know many people on here that like detail and think simple writer is boring. No one is wrong. Everyone likes different things which is why there's so many different books out there :)
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

Interesting fact, Pablo Picasso was actually one of the best realistic painters of his time and could create photorealistic portraites. But, after a while he got sick of simply painting what he saw and decided to start doing abstract paintings.

Anyway, I agree that writing is a form of art, and the type of art differs from author to author. For some it's a means of expressing oneself through the actions of a fictional character. For me, it's the art of creating a world the likes of which no one has ever seen. As a writer I'm more attracted to the creation aspect of writing rather than the expresion. To create a world entirely of your own design, poppulate it, create its history, people, and wildlife. For lack of a better word, it makes me feel like a god.

Of course, I know that when people pick up a book they want to be entertained, not study passages from a history textbook. Anyone can create a world of their own design, but it takes skill to experience it through the eyes of one of its inhabitants. It's a tough task for me to hold back on showing my readers everything I've created, only introducing bits of it from time to time as the story progresses. Most of what I created won't even be touched on in the first book. But, at the same time it creates a sense of mystery. As the main character's journey progresses the readers discover more about the world I have created.

Of course, building a world isn't the only thing one has to worry about when writing a story, but for me it's definitely the most enjoyable aspect.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13