z

Young Writers Society

Great excersise to improve description!

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:59 pm
MillieandMissy says...

All you do is get a picture of anything you like, and describe it in as much detail as possible so that anyone reading can truly 'see' the picture without actually seeing it. Try it!
Please give any comments on my writing! Anything much appreciated, I will try to return the favour!
Any tips on bitting a horse? Missy can be very stubborn sometimes!

=D

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:38 pm
JabberHut says...

Ha! I just tried this. It's crazy how much I can say about the picture. I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words! Thanks for the idea. It'll be awesome practice 'cause I certainly need it! :D
I make my own policies.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 pm
glassesarechic says...

My problem is that I always end up over-describing the image without any story emerging. I know the exercise is to encourage detail, but shouldn't clever detail also move the story forward? Arg.
Looking for more information on young writing?

Try Young Writer's Notebook, a new blog for us young'uns.

(http://youngwritersnotebook.wordpress.com)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:58 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Detail has three purposes for me:

Move the story forward.
Let people know what sort of setting the story is in.
Provide extra emotion to the scene based on what descriptive language was used.

If it doesn't fit in one of the three, then cut it. If it's turning into a block of text and not just sporadic sentences, cut it. Be merciless in figuring out which details are important, but be sure to take into account your story. Some stories do fantastically with rich language, but it's usually because the language is doing double-duty.

But the idea of describing everything about a picture is a great way to find some of those awesome details you normally wouldn't have even thought of at the start. Nice exercise. ^^
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:59 am
PandaSurprise says...

That really was quite a great exercise I felt my description skills grow in just a few attempts.

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes