z

Young Writers Society

Using Microsoft OneNote for plotting?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 pm
LauraMae says...

Does anyone know how I could do this?

I just discovered OneNote by accident, and I like the look of it, because it's all in sections with pages etc. However, it looks really confusing. I'm basically just looking for any tips from people who actually use it to organise their novel, e.g. characters, world, outlines, stuff like that. Alternatively, any 'No don't use it it's rubbish!' comments are welcome too, and suggestions of other methods or (free) software that are good for plotting - I've tried yWriter, Storybook, Liquid Story Binder, PageFour and others, and hated them all for various reasons.

If there's nothing, nothing left to lose... What is this feeling, that keeps on bringing me back to you?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:14 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I have yet to figure out exactly what to make of OneNote. All I can say is that you'll probably learn more about the program through trial and error and reading the help files than reading a guide.

Personally, I tend to not plot, but when I do, pen(cil) and paper suit me just fine. Old-fashioned as they are. ;P
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:04 am
Samp says...

I agree with what Kyllorac says, pen and paper actually serves me best while plotting, and you can doodle on them :D
I haven't used much of OneNote though, since any program capable of generating text is fine with me...
Absence weakens mediocre passions and increases great ones the same way wind blows out candles and kindles fires.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I used OneNote for a bit to sort of categorize information about the world of my fantasy novel, but quickly lost steam (that's just a me thing though). I liked the pages and tabs of it, and it suited my purposes well. But overall, I find just handwriting things down in a notebook works best for me in the terms of plotting. But then again I don't tend to plot much anyway.
Got YWS?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm
Blues says...

I use it a lot and it helps a ton. It keeps all the info in one place!

Reviews: 2
Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:32 pm
RowanLocke says...

I use Onenote loads for my writing. One of the things that makes it more useful than an ordinary notebook is that you can do links between pages. I think it's also useful for me because my handwriting is terrible! The best way of learning to use it is do just find a nice place, sit down for a bit and just mess about.

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke