z

Young Writers Society

Writing with music?

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 pm
TheDementedDemon says...

Alright. So I will take a wild guess that some of the people on here write with music. I've also heard a tip that you should write music that is going to challenge your thought process as you are writing. I just want to get an idea of what is some good music to listen to as one is writing?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:50 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If I listen to music, which is rare, it's usually music I don't understand the lyrics to or have no lyrics at all. Otherwise, the lyrics distract me. Usually it's a sweeping soundtrack (movies, video games, dance productions) or something that feels very operatic. Those songs tend to best encompass the feelings (what they were composed for in the first place), although I do have to select different music for different moods.

I'll use all kinds of music to get myself into the right mood or just generate ideas. And when it comes to what music I read/do homework to, that's a whole other ballgame.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am
View Likes
SteviexOctopus says...

I usually listen to music, but it has to be music I've heard before... and if I'm writing a depressing or emotional scene the music has to have the exact opposite feeling.

Though I have also been known to watch television shows when writing. xD
.:~|The Red Ink Emporium!|~:.
"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?"

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:52 pm
View Likes
kjr5horses says...

The music has to match the mood of the scene I am writing ;)

But you need to find what you like to listen to that fits the mood of the piece you are writing and then just let ours fingers go!

Because we all like different music, and such so...yeah....

KJR
"Me I'm dishonest but a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly its the honest ones you have to watch out for because you can never tell when they are going to do something incredibly...stupid." ~Capt. Jack Sparrow

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:38 pm
View Likes
SkyeDreamer says...

When I sketch, I'll listen to music that inspires me- music with lyrics I relate to, etc. Just stuff to get me feeling creative. With writing, though, I'll rarely listen to anything; it's distracting! If I do decide I want some music, I'll listen to something like classical, which doesn't have lyrics (for the most part). As a general rule, I say no music, or keep the volume very low. My friend, however, listens to the radio when she studies. According to her, it drowns out other noises and doesn't distract her. I think she's wrong. ;D I guess it depends on the person!
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:37 am
View Likes
LiverTeaTime says...

I honestly have to say I don't really listen to music when writing. It's too distracting, and if it's in a tone that's completely different than whatever I'm writing it messes the flow up.
That being said I pretty much always have it on any other time.
As I committed my crimes in a darkened room
A bird flew by, and saw what I'd done, it set up a nest outside.
And he sang about what I'd become...sang so loud, sang so clear.
I was afraid all the neighbors would hear.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:29 pm
View Likes
tigershark17 says...

Whatever suits you. Honestly, I listen to anything from Brahms and Mozart to Lincoln Park while I write. Don't be afraid to experiment and find what works for you. Mozart has been known to be very good for the mind, and help people think; however, something like that may not be right for you. Also, adjust the volume. Some poeple like to write with just a little background music, and some people like to really blare it. It's really up to you, so just find what you like and get writing! (:
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:34 pm
Dynamo says...

I usually don't listen to music while I'm writing. When I'm working on visual stuff like my 3D work I like to have something to listen to. I have ADHD so it helps when I have music playing to drown out any thoughts I might have that may draw me away from the task at hand. But when I'm writing I find it tends to break my train of thought because I need to think a little more when I'm writing than when I'm doing visual stuff. But to be honest, I think I may try listening to music while writing. Lately I've been finding it hard to stay on task with my writing, so a little distraction from my own thoughts may be helpful, if that makes any sense. :lol:
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 am
Samp says...

... I have not much to say, it really is according to personal preference, but I myself recommend you check out music composed by 'Two Steps from Hell'. It's mainly where I get my inspiration and such from while writing. :D
Absence weakens mediocre passions and increases great ones the same way wind blows out candles and kindles fires.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm
ShelbyMoody210 says...

I usually listen to music that has the same mood of the story I'm writing or that gives me ideas towards the story. Like if the lyrics follow the story.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 am
DrunkOnWriting says...

I've tried this several times and it always distracts me...even music without lyrics! I'm not sure how people actually write and listen simultaniously, but I like to play music beforehand to get myself into the mood of a story:)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:56 am
Starrywolf says...

Like some others above, I listen to music that matches the pace/mood of the story.
I find the the music I use most is Green Day, Linkin Park, Led Zeppelin, or Jimmy Eat World.
For me, It's more like background noise, kind of like the music playing in the background during a movie.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 am
Thehorror says...

HI!!
Writing with music is very good, I also use it and it helps me writing fast, good and completing my task.
Some good music - old times music - it really helps.
According to the genre - like listening to a horror tune while writing horror and an adventurous tune for writing adventure and so on....
And, when you listen to a music, taking breaks can also be a good idea. One kind of music is one that brigns out your feelings, and you should have heard to a music that sends you inspirational gut instincts, listen to them.
And , if it don't work, stop it, because there are types of poeple who just can't work while music on, but it's worthwhile to try..
OK!!
Good lucK!!
bye!!

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy