z

Young Writers Society

Help me name some businesses!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 am
View Likes
onceuponatim3xo says...

Please help! When it comes to business names I really have absolutely no idea.

The only places for teens to hang out were Mario’s Pizza Palace, The Burger Joint, the bowling alley, or Coffee Café.

These places really need some help. Here are a few pics that are similar to what I was picturing when writing about these places:

Pizza Palace =

The Burger Joint =

Coffee Cafe =

If you have any ideas please please please let me know. I'm desperately in need of help! :P They're located in the small town of Williamstown, New Jersey.

Thanks,
-Once
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'd not bother naming the businesses proper and just call them by what they are ("the burger joint" ect).

The reason I say that is because people tend to automatically stop at business names, and wonder if such a place really exists. It can date your work, slow down the reader, and, in worst case scenarios, come off as cliche. It's best to just let products and businesses be unnamed in fiction, in my opinion.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am
View Likes
Moo says...

I agree with Rosey in that I don't think it's particularly important to name businesses. However, if there's a café for example that is a big part of the plot, you should probably give it a name. In the TV show That 70s Show, a lot of the characters hang out in the café and it's a pretty big setting, and therefore has a name (The Hub xD.)

Just a thought. :3 Instead of making a cafe for example something with an original name, just pick a chain company. It's easier. You could call it The Streat, for example. We have those here, and their food is pretty nice. :3

-Moo
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm
View Likes
onceuponatim3xo says...

Thanks guys :)
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain