z

Young Writers Society

correct spelling?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 am
View Likes
lakegirls says...

Hey! so I'm starting a new story and I have this character name in mind, for a male, but I cannot figure out the correct spelling...help?

sounds like: ah-meal

possible spelling: amele
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 pm
Kale says...

In general, correct name pronunciation is a lost cause. You can try to nudge readers in the direction you want, but you always need to be aware that people will read the names the way they read them (especially the odder names).

You can hint at how a name is pronounced by comparing its sounds to familiar words. For example, maybe a character could comment on the guy's name always makes her hungry because it sounds like "a meal". You can also spell names phonetically, like Ameel, Ahmeel, etc. Just be sure to keep the spelling consistent.

Ultimately though, so long as a name is readable and recognizable, it is fine; correct name pronunciation isn't really an issue, though it's good to have a clear idea of the names' pronunciations yourself, especially if they are created names.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 am
JabberHut says...

I've heard of this name, I think... Amil? Google likes that spelling, so that may be what you're thinking of. Link.
I make my own policies.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 pm
lakegirls says...

Hey! I found the name after in my friends baby book haha. It's spelled Emile
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 am
ultraviolet says...

I know you found the name, but just a thought.

For names, there isn't necessarily a right or wrong spelling. However you spell it is how you spell it. Sure, you want to keep them pronounceable, but beyond that you're pretty much free. In fact, sometimes I change the spelling of something to make it more interesting. The important thing is that the name conveys what you want it to - whether being almost too normal, or totally out there. There are things in writing that people will tell you are right or wrong and that you can't mess around with, but names is not one of them. Yes, you want to stay within reason, but no matter how you spell it, if you're happy, then really that's all that matters.

(Of course, there are exceptions to this. But as long as you're not too over-the-top, you should be fine.)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 am
Jashael says...

I think what you've got there is fine. It doesn't really matter, trust me. It's a name. You're in control of what you want it to sound like, how you want it to be spelled out. But just a tip: the spelling should be somewhat aligned with the culture/nationality of the character possessing the name. I suggest you study a bit about the background of the character, from there, you can find the perfect spelling, I assume.

But the previous people have answered the name that you were looking for. Just a little tip, that you can actually give out whatever spelling you want for your character. It could add to the interesting facts about him/her. Like misspelled name in birth certificates and stuff. :P Hope I've helped.

Jash ♥
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand