z

Young Writers Society

The mirror - A writer's friend?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:32 am
Fishr says...

Lately I have been writing nonstop, (Well I do make time to hydrate and eat and sleep, lol) and remembering old tactics that helped me in a jam. So here is another technique that may or may not help with character development. The mirror can be your best friend.

I suggest to lock yourself in a room, because you may feel foolish, I know I do, lol. But if I'm not sure how my charactor's should act, according to the situation, I stand in front of a mirror and literally make faces of how I picture the char reacting. Sometimes I will bunch fists and shake them at my reflection, jump up and down, move from side to side; everything.

This way when I write, I don't "over do" the situation, which I have a tendency to do, :lol: . I can keep it as realistic as possible.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, hehe. And I hope this might help someone out if their not sure how a char should react. Have fun! :lol:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:49 am
Areida says...

This is great advice, but it's hard to do for me because I always feel so stupid. Once when I was acting out a scene from a story, my younger sisters walked in and got these really weird looks on their faces, like, "Okay, she's lost it." They asked me what the heck I was doing, and I tried to explain, but they still thought I was off my rocker.

But it's especially good for facial expressions. Sometimes I'll look in the mirror and read a line and see what my face does and it'll give me some ideas.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
zelithon says...

I do that all the time. Also i do vioces so i know tem exacrly and able to come up with unique dilects. My faverate is Sister's, "Scusee come hewre i weawwy want to sow oo somefink" thats the way she talks.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:01 pm
Snoink says...

I do it automatically when I'm writing, hehe. It's strange. So when I'm writing and am on a webcam, then people often wonder about my facial expressions...

Which leads me to the other point. Another good idea is, if you have a webcam, find a YWS member whom you can trust, and then show him your facial expressions and ask him to describe it for you. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:41 pm
Fishr says...

Which leads me to the other point. Another good idea is, if you have a webcam, find a YWS member whom you can trust, and then show him your facial expressions and ask him to describe it for you.
I'm not that brave, yet. :D

I do that all the time. Also i do vioces so i know tem exacrly and able to come up with unique dilects.
Hmm, at the risk of living up to my signature, I have actual conversations, lol. In which case, I have to write or do something to keep them subdued.

This is great advice, but it's hard to do for me because I always feel so stupid. Once when I was acting out a scene from a story, my younger sisters walked in and got these really weird looks on their faces, like, "Okay, she's lost it." They asked me what the heck I was doing, and I tried to explain, but they still thought I was off my rocker.

But it's especially good for facial expressions. Sometimes I'll look in the mirror and read a line and see what my face does and it'll give me some ideas.
I've been off my rocker since birth, lol. ;) But I try to still "appear" sane. Whoever invented locks, should be highly praised.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

798 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 pm
Areida says...

Amen, LOL. :D
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:54 am
NikkuhPrease says...

No way!!! I do that too.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:59 am
Duskglimmer says...

*laughs* I do this kind of thing... I try to have a mirror somewhere in the room when I'm writing, or, if it's dark outside and I try to be by a window because they become very reflective at night. And I talk to myself and listen to how I say things. And when people walk in while I'm writing I quickly turn red and hide.

The one thing I've learned through all this? To be a writer, you've got to make sure you don't mind when people think you're insane.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:16 am
J. Haux says...

I have two full-length-and-beyond mirrors in my bedroom (which makes it private) to occupy myself. I've always acted things out in front of a mirror, just for fun, and I don't see much wrong with it. It's a good tool. I used to be in theatre (I got self-conscious *sigh*), and we were told to do that sometimes, to see our expressions. I didn't think of doing that to write, though. I usually draw pictures, myself--I doodle in my notebook. I draw a character, and think about how to describe his/her/its expression, or I draw a map or a place...But a mirror is almost the same thing.

I'm not insane. I'm just creative. :D
SPEW to You

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 am
Jennafina says...

I'm like Snoink, I do it without thinking. Mercifully, I don't own a webcam, lol. Although it would be funny to see how someone discribes my face.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:01 am
Sam says...

I just watch people- it's awesome, since you get such a range of dysfunctionality and emotion. I have the Driven-Mad-Soccer-Mom expressions down pat from spending a really extremely boring summer volunteering at the children's Zoo. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

798 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:04 am
Areida says...

Watching people is fun. I've also learned to start paying attention to my own facial idosyncrasies. For example, I've learned that I scrunch up my face when I'm confused, and I wrinkle up my nose right before something makes me laugh.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

365 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:12 pm
Fishr says...

I people watch all the time. That never occurred to me I had loads of facial expressions at my disposal. I always did it for fun, and let me tell you all, that there are some very weird people in my neck of the woods.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 am
Rakun says...

I will send you a private message as soon I do it tomorrow telling the results.
Thanks for the piece of advice.
I love to learn.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:37 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I don't use a mirror, but I do it without thinking while I'm at my computer or have a notebook open and I'm writing, I make faces and talk to myself. I thought it was just me who did that! :D

Thank God I'm not as mentally unbalanced as I thought I was... :roll: :smt003
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist