z

Young Writers Society

The mirror - A writer's friend?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:12 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I'll admit that I don't do it in front of a mirror (I have this paranoia that someone is watching me all the time) but I'm pretty sure that I do do it unconsciously when I am writing. After writing a scene where my character is happy, I'll wonder why my cheeks have been hurting as if I was smiling.

In general, with expressions, I base my descriptions off of people-watching. I love watching movies with the right expressions in them and the better the actor, the more subtle things you can pick up that add so much to your writing. *goes off to watch the BBC mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" - Colin Firth has some of the most fantastic subtle face acting I have ever seen... I had to watch the thing several times before I was able to pick up on some of the expressions. But the character is so real...*

I'll have to try and overcome my freakishness to try it in the mirror. I've taken pictures of myself in the mirror for art references, but it has always just been my straight face. And I always felt like an idiot just doing that. But this was a great idea.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:40 am
Joeducktape says...

I feel a little less strange after this.
I often sit in front of a mirror and look at my facial expressions when trying to describe someone. As someone else said, I learned this trick in theatre. It is a very useful and potentially embarrassing tool. Sometimes I even have to walk through scenes or read dialogue.

My little brother probably thinks there's something wrong with me because I walk through my house talking to people who have strange names and aren't there.

Oh, well!
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings