z

Young Writers Society

Guidelines on Synonyms for Said

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:55 pm
Snoink says...

Bobo requested this. :) The question? Can you clarify when writers should use another word besides said? Gladly!

First of all, what you should look for is when you want to describe the voice when it cannot be easily described with an adverb. Look at this:

"I can't believe it," he said quietly.

"I can't believe it," he whispered.

When I say "said quietly" it seems to have a more disappointed feeling than the latter. The latter is almost excited.

The general rule is, if you don't hear it that way, don't use the verb however tempting it is.

Let's go through the list of verbs other than said!

A

announced

Example: "I will leave in one hour," he announced.

Use it?: Yes

This is an effective word for said. Mostly used for characters who are boisterous, this verb indicates a loud, treble announcement has just taken place.

awed

Example: "How do you do it?" he awed.

Use it?: Never!

This is a lame, lame verb which should never ever be used in place of "said." If you character does say something in awe, the dialogue should be apparent about it. If you have to use this word to indicate it is said in awe, you need to work on your description. A lot. If you have to, say, "he said with awe." If possible, describe.

accused

Example: "You stole my car!" he accused.

Use it?: Sparingly

This is another one of those verbs that the dialogue should make it apparent that this is an accusation. This verb, however, is a little more accepted than "awed." This verb indicates a sharp, pointed voice, said with anger and frustration.

assured

Example: "It'll be all right," he assured.

This can be a really cool verb if you use it right. This indicates a gentle voice and passive gestures. This also is an easy verb to manipulate for a different meaning. If you have a perverted character saying this, it becomes mocking in a gentle way. Example: "Oh, you needn't be afraid," he assured, looking her over.

Really cool verb... but really gentle.

apologized

Example: "I'm sorry," he apologized.

Use it?: No.

It should be apparent whether the character is apologizing or not. The only case where this should be used is when you have an odd character that apologizes, but barely. Even so, this verb should be avoided.

addressed

Example: None

This should NEVER be used for said. NEVER. It just... doesn't work. Address means to communicate with a specific subject, and it is never used in dialogue. Just don't use it.

asked

Example: "Why does he do that?" he asked.

I use this all the time. Very useful, and it doesn't get get in front of the dialogue. Really good verb. Indicates a question.

advised

Example: "I wouldn't suggest that," he advised.

Use it?: Sometimes

Sometimes useful. Used for a dramatic touch to the sentence. Gives a hint of secrecy of the reader. But you definitely don't want to overuse this verb.

answered

Example: "I know that," he answered.

This word tends to get in front of dialogue. To help push it back a little bit, describe the verb immediately after the "answered."

added

Example: "And then there's that," he added.

Be careful about using this, because it can be overused very quickly. This verb is often used with shy characters piping up with something extra. It's said shortly and eagerly.

agreed

Example: "Yes, I do too," he agreed.

Be careful about using this word, because it can be overused easily. Even so, very useful verb. It indicates approval and warmness, though it can easily modified to be less eager and warm.

argued

Example: "And that's just stupid," he argued.

Use it?: Nonfiction

This is a really really wonderful word to use in a persuasive essay. In fiction, it's not so wonderful. If you're writing a dialogue, chances are your readers willknow that this is an argument without the helping verb. Said would be better.

assisted

Example: None.

Use it?: Not for dialogue

Assisted mean to help someone out. How are you going to help someone out when you're speaking? It just doesn't work... use said.

affirmed

Example: "We start on Tuesday," he affirmed.

When you want to make sure someone knows that the character is saying, "This is the absolute, positive truth, no lie," then use this. Otherwise, skip it.

acknowledged

Example: "We did something wrong," he acknowledged.

Acknowledge is to recognize. Because of this, chances are, you won't use this unless your character is reluctantly confessing something. It would probably be a little bit of a drawl, very slow, and a little embarrassed.

applauded

Do you ever talk by clapping? I thought so. Applause should be limited to clapping. Instead, you can write, "he said encouragingly."

advocated

Example: "Abortion should be legalized," he advocated.

Use it?: Nonfiction

Great for nonfiction - bad for fiction. Just try to stay away from this one.

B

belched

If your character ever talks by belching, then use it. Otherwise, don't use this ever.

beseeched

Example: "My Lordship, save me!" he beseeched.

Use it?: No

This is one of those archaic words that is really cool, but... well... not practical. Asked or pleaded is better. If you have to use this word, then use it in the dialogue. Example: "I beseech you, my Lord!"

boomed

Example: "Why did you resign?" he boomed.

Use it?: No.

Boom is a rather childish word, so it portrays an almost irritated childish anger. But, since boom is deep and rumbly as well, it's taken that a man says it. So a man "booms" when he is feeling childishly irritable. Since there are better words for this (see below), it usually isn't used.

bellowed

Example: "My name is Diego!" he bellowed.

Bellowed is used instead of "boomed." For some reason, it's thought of as a better word. Use this instead of "boom."

bowed

Use it?: Never

Once again, unless you're going to say words by bowing, then don't used this.

boasted

Example: "I'm the best in the team!" he boasted.

The "ost" sound of the word is very strong and tends to loom over dialogue. I would prefer "brag," simply because of the better, softer sound to it.

began

Example: "Well," he began, "it all started when my dog drank some gasoline."

Best used in between a sentence of paragraph, right up front. Can be especially useful for the times when your character begins to tell a story. It indicates that a cause and effect story is being told.

begged

Example: "Please don't kill me," he begged.

It can be used effectively for both a serious and a funny effect, depending on what sort of a piece you're writing. Begging indicates a whine to the voice, blinking eyes, and a prostrate position, both for a humorous situation and a serious situation. Begging is a strong verb and should be used when the characters really really want what they're begging for. What they're begging for makes the situation humorous or serious though.

beamed

Use it?: Never

Beam is related to smiling, or a look of radiance. Your voice doesn't "look" like anything. So, unless you speak in sunshine, avoid this verb.

butted in

Example: "And don't forget the gold mine!" he butted in.

This verb is almost like "added" but with a little bit more visciousness, from an arrogant character. "Butted in" sounds crass and awkward, and most likely, you'll never have to use it. If you ever want to use this verb, then you can use "he said, butting in" for a smoother effect. Otherwise, use "interrupt."

bantered

Example: "You did it first!" he bantered.

Banter indicates a playful back and forth teasing - a tennis game with words. Even so, you should avoid this verb. It should be obvious from the dialogue that your characters are bantering.

C

contested

Example: "He is the murderer!" she contested.

This is one of those verbs that you may get away with, but it's so long and makes the dialogue seem so obvious that it usually overshadows the dialogue. Avoid it.

countered

Example: "But you said that it wasn't real," he countered.

It should be obvious from the dialogue that the character is countering the other. This verb may actually underscore the dialogue, if the dialogue is written in a soft way, so you may not want to have it.

croaked

"Kiss me," he croaked.

Okay... if you're writing a story where you have a frog prince, then you can use it. Otherwise? No.

consoled

"It's okay," she consoled.

This is a feminine, very soft word that only sticks out with its "o" sounds. Because of this, it can be used often. The problem? Once more, it should be obvious that the character is consoling another.

chorused

"We love you," they chorused.

Only use with the plural. Has an innocent sound to it, think angels in heaven singing. So usually it's used with "innocent" people.

I'll do these verbs later:

complained
corrected
championed
cheered
cried
complemented
calculated
cackled
cautioned
continued
commented
conceded
complained

D

declared
drawled
dribbled
dismissed
demanded
denied
decided

E

eased
egged
exclaimed
excused
encouraged
enthused
ejaculated
effervesced
enticed
echoed

F

frowned
finished
fidgeted
fumbled
fumed

G

greeted
grinned
gulped
grumbled
groaned
giggled
gasped
glowered
gurgled
gleamed
guessed
guffawed
gawped

H

hissed
hoped
hailed
humored
hesitated
hollered

I

indicated
inquired
informed
interrupted
insisted
instructed

L

laughed
lisped
lumbered

M

muttered
moaned
mumbled
maintained
motioned
murmured
mentioned

N

nodded
noticed

O

offered
observed
objected
oscillated

P

panted
pondered
panicked
puzzled
protested
pressed
piped up
proffered
pleaded
pardoned
postulated
proclaimed

Q

questioned

R

rambled
returned
repeated
responded
ranted
raved
relented
rescinded
released
requested

S

slurped
sneered
slurred
smirked
snorted
stared
smiled
spoke
stormed
sang
shouted
screamed
squealed
scolded
shuddered
sighed
smarted
stated
suggested
spluttered
snapped
snarled
stressed
shrilled
stammered
screeched
summarized
shuffled
sobbed
sniffed
shrieked
swayed

T

tutted
threatened
teased
tittered
taunted

U

urged
ushered
uttered

V

ventured
vacillated

W

wondered
winked
worried
whinged
whined
wittered
warned
whispered
winced
waved
wailed

Y

yelled
yodeled

I'll do these verbs later:

[i]
Last edited by Snoink on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:28 pm
Areida says...

Ooh yay! I love these dealies.

Will you include "opined" please? That kills me...
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:59 am
Snoink says...

Okay! ^___^ I'll probably add more to this list (this list, if you're wondering, came from the topic "Different Ways of Saying Said") and then explain them. For now, I'll stick with this though, hehe...

More coming soon. Check back semi-often. :)

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:09 am
Sam says...

Good things, Snoink...I'm glad to see you've advised against a lot of 'em. I've only ever pretty much added 'said' and 'asked' lately, and it works really well as long as you change up where you put it, and can write pretty good dialogue without having to say who said it. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:10 am
Crysi says...

What about "replied" as a synonym? I use it sometimes... I don't know if that would be like "answered" and "responded" but I guess I'll see. ;)
Love and Light

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:23 am
Yrael says...

Holy crap... Wow Snoink, why don't you just blow mine off the map. :P
Good work!

And Snoink I like your moo-shoe pork. ;)
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already
tomorrow in Australia.
" ~ Charles Schultz

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:19 am
Snoink says...

Hehe!

Well, you'll notice that I just copied and pasted your list on this thread. ;)

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:16 pm
shadowphoenix2580 says...

What about interjected, i like to use that one in a disscussion where some one cuts across the convosation.
SP2580

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:56 pm
Myth says...

addressed

This should NEVER be used for said. NEVER. It just... doesn't work. Address means to communicate with a specific subject, and it is never used in dialogue. Just don't use it.

I used to do that until I decided it was better to use when a character is speaking but the dialogue isn't added in.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:19 pm
Snoink says...

shadowphoenix2580 wrote:What about interjected, i like to use that one in a disscussion where some one cuts across the convosation.

Nah. Interjected is too obvious to use. That is, when the character says it, it's obvious that he is interjecting. To reinforce it is needless.

And if you say, "He addressed the crowd" then you might get away with it, if you have no dialogue. Just make sure you don't have much dialogue. Otherwise, things get corny. ^_^;;

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:10 am
Jennafina says...

This is cool! It's like a preemptive critique. Thanks Snoink!
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 am
Black Ghost says...

Thanks, Snoink, this is very useful stuff. It made me realize how synonyms for said can make or break dialogue.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:51 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... I should totally update this.

If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner