z

Young Writers Society

Fragments-Are they grammatically wrong?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:21 pm
View Likes
mystical*dragons says...

Okay, so basically this is a really dumb question. But I have this habit of writing a lot of fragments and I was just wondering if they are grammatically wrong. Can anyone please help me out with this?
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:14 am
Beethoven says...

OK, I'm no grammatician, but here's my take. Technically, yes, fragments are grammatically incorrect. Every sentence needs a verb and noun and all that jazz. However, we are allowed to break the rules. Lucky us. Fragments can cause a powerful effect, but they aren't to be overused.

This was from an article in Writer's Digest, July '04, by David A. Fryxell, entitled Rules Worth Breaking. It lists some grammar rules, and his reasons on why they can be broken.

2. SENTENCE FRAGMENTS ARE FORBIDDEN.

In other words, every sentence must have a noun and a verb to deserve the period at the end. While that remains a good guideline to follow, know what you're doing when you employ fragments, and do so sparingly. Occasionally, you can indulge for emphasis or effect. Sentence fragments change the rhythm of your writing. They underscore the thought you've encased in this brief, verbless chunk.

Here, for example, is Linda Robertson writing about tennis star Venus Williams in The Miami Herald's Tropic magazine:

While her would-be opponents perform before cheering crowds, she hears cows mooing on the neighbors' property. Pastoral, peaceful, normal. Just the way her father likes it.

That's a powerful, staccato backhand compared to this lifeless but grammatically correct version:

While her would be opponents perform before cheering crowds, she hears cows mooing on the neighbors' property. It is pastoral, peaceful and normal. This is just the way her father likes it.

Or cnsider how Penny Wolfson beaks this rule in an award-winning Atlantic Monthly piece, "Moonrise," that begins by describing the Ansel Adams photograph of that title:

Human life is small, fragile and finate. And yet, still, beautiful.

------
So... there's my view ^_^
Your existence is overbearing.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:37 am
mystical*dragons says...

Thank you so much! That helped a lot! :)
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:28 am
Snoink says...

Just don't do it a lot.

Fragments tend to make the piece read faster. For example, how many of you have encountered this huge block of text and have been turned off by it? Same concept. Because it's in a shorter space, it automatically makes the readers' eyes go ahead... great for battle scenes. Great for emotional turmoil. Not so good for essays.

So be careful how you use it...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:28 pm
Rei says...

As long as you don't overdo it, fragments are just fine in fiction, and are a neccesity in many kinds of poetry.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:29 pm
Incandescence says...

Grammatically: yes.

Prosaicly: no.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:35 pm
AstrangedbeaR says...

i used frgaments quite alot. alot of revision and practice is a good way to avoid them. you'll learn eventually that it is easy to over come these fragments.
*AstrangedbeaR*

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:54 pm
Carmina says...

Grammatically wrong. They can be used creatively to great effect. Just make sure that the short, choppy fragments go witht eh overall style of what you are writing. If you are writing with informal voice, they are fine. If you want to make something short and jarring, great. If you are writing something very formal or writing about a very proper traditional character, they don't work so well. I use them a lot, perhaps too much. I don't know. I like them.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:01 am
Snoink says...

And remember, if you are going to use them, please you them carefully. Just by adding a period, it adds a dramatic pause. Very useful, but it can be overdone. When you do read your fragmented work, make sure it makes sense. ><
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:14 am
Cassandra says...

I love fragments! *Huggles*

They can really help set the mood for a scene/piece, however they can get annoying if overused...

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:05 am
Tassen Spellbinder says...

I have no oppinion, seeing as I dont usually use them.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:11 am
xanthan gum says...

What was said above is true. Another thing is that, even in moderation, you must be careful that the fragment does not sound "chopped off". That and please PLEASE don't use numerous in a row.
Carpe Diem.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:26 am
Swires says...

FOr me, purposeful fragments are ok, they add depth to create tension etc... and they are really useful techniques to use.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:06 am
Elelel says...

Fragments are awesome! I love fragments!

So yes, they're fine. I guess they're technically incorrect, but no one bothers with rules these days. They can be really effective if used in the right places, but it's not alwasy easy working out the right places. For that I say got with your gut feelings, because if it doesn't sound so great on rereading you can always change it to a normal sentence.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:37 pm
Lizzybethrae says...

I use fragments, fairly often. Usually only when I want to create a certain feeling, or a certain mood, and especially in dialogue. People don't always talk in complete sentences, and in fact, most of the people I listen to all day long use a LOT of fragments when they're speaking. So the majority of the fragments I use are in dialogue and character thought.

I'm writing something right now, where the character has a lot of nightmares--those scenes have a good number of fragments in them, and probably push limits. But the images in this characters mind are fragmented...so why shouldn't some of the sentences be? Of course, there are complete sentences in between. If I ever wrote a paragraph with all fragments I think my editor would shoot me. :D
"You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
You’re in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort there..."
--Angel

Perfection is lots of little things done well.
— Marco Pierre White