z

Young Writers Society

Publishing Poetry

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:11 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

I'm not trying to say I'm planning on publishing any of my poetry.

But what exactly do you do when it comes to publishing poetry?
How does it differ from trying to publishing stories/novels?
Do you have to write enough to fill a whole book?
What about like poetry collections? I have one of my poems in a book of Scottish poetry, but that was through a competition so, I'm not sure exactly :/

Yeah I just don't really understand the whole concept of publishing poetry....

Help please? :(

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:25 pm
Emerson says...

If you have a poem in a collection that is for sell (or even free), if something you wrote is "in print" then it has been published.

Publishing poetry is weird - honestly, I don't know a whole lot about it. From the people I've spoken with, the first step is getting poems published in magazines and the like. www.duotrope.com is a site where you can search for magazines who accept submissions. I'm not sure how one would go about getting a collection of poetry published, but I think it would be awfully hard. The market isn't (from what I know) a good place for poetry collections right now. People prefer novels - it's the same reason why short stories are hard to publish.

Other people would have better advice for you, I really don't know what I'm talking about! But I still hope this helps.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:14 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

So would it be like writing magazines and that sort of affair? Because that would get your recognised by authors etc. or do you just mean any sort of magazine, that like normal people would read?
Because as you said, the market for poetry isn't that good, so would that work? :/

(Ok that was slightly rambly I know :L)

Thanks for that link though, it seems really useful (:

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm
Gahks says...

Get your name out in the whole wide world.

Sadly, poetry is a dying market and you must get your voice heard above the others. Enter as many competitions as you can, supply pieces to as many magazines as you can and tell as many people as you can.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues