z

Young Writers Society

Overcoming Writer's Block

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:31 pm
View Likes
ProfessorRabbit says...

Someone on my other Writing Tips thread pointed out that I had neglected to address writers' block. To that end, this.

Getting Ideas
I'm not going to waste too much time on this part of the process. You're a writer. You know where ideas come from. Still, I'll list a few suggestions.

1. Change Your Scenery
Don't stagnate. The easiest way to come up with fun new ideas is to get off your butt, go outside and look around. If nature inspires you, take a walk in the woods or go to the beach. ( Even if you live in a big city, there's probably a park you can go to. ) If you need character ideas, go somewhere well-populated and people-watch.

2. Randomize
Pick a subject at random and write about it.

3. Join a Contest
The contest forum on this site always has something going on, and they almost always give you a place to start.

4. Media
Watch TV, read a book, listen to some tunes. Just exposing yourself to an outside influence is often enough to get your creative juices flowing.

Starting to Write
Okay, you've got your idea. But how do you start writing your story? Beginnings are the hardest part of writing, except, of course, for endings. The most important thing to remember is that you can go back and edit later. Here are a few tips:

1. Once Upon a Time...
This is my personal favorite. If you can't think of the perfect opening line for your story - and it's easy to get hung up on this! - just start off with "Once upon a time..." and go from there. This helps relieve the "OMG, I have to write the perfect sentence to draw someone into my story!" anxiety, and you can go back and replace it with something better once your story is finished.

2. Open with Dialogue
Sometimes, the easiest thing to do is start off with a line of dialogue. This is a good idea because it lands you in the middle of a scene, and you can also continue the dialogue with other present characters. Before you know it, you'll have a whole scene written, and you can go back and add a few introductory lines. Alternatively, you might find that dialogue is a good opener for your story after all, and you won't even have to rewrite.

3. Work Backwards
Screw the beginning. That pressure to get it just right can be really overwhelming. Instead, write a scene that occurs near the beginning, something that you're excited about and really want to write. Once you've got that part written, you can work your way backwards through the story, scene by scene, until you get to the beginning. This makes it easier to think of the initial lines as just another scene, which helps relieve the pressure and makes it easier to write.

4. Just Write
Just start typing the first words that come into your head, and keep going until you've settled into the rhythm of the story. Once you've found the voice of the POV character, it's easier to go back and rewrite the beginning.

Stuck in the Middle
You've got a great plot and a great beginning, and maybe you even have an ending. But, damn, there's so much middle you have to fill! Here's my advice:

1. Write the Juicy Bits
If you're stuck on one part of your story because you're excited about something that comes later, it might be time to jump ahead. You don't need to worry about chronology now; that's something for the finished piece. If it helps, write all the really interesting parts first, and lay them out in order. Once you've done that, it's a simple task to fill in the intervals between scenes.

2. Get Excited!
If you're having a really hard time writing part of your story because you don't find it interesting, stop. If you're bored with what you're writing, how do you think your readers will feel? You need to enjoy your story. Love it! If you're not having a good time, it might be a good idea to rethink whatever part of the plot you're working on, and try to spice it up a bit, or even change it entirely.

3. Take a Break
This advice is common, but that's because it's good advice. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is take a step back from your story. Do some chores, go for a bike ride, hang out with your friends, whatever you like to do. This gives your mind a chance to relax, and you'll return to your story with fresh enthusiasm.

4. Don't be Afraid of Change
Sometimes your plot will start going in a different direction than you had originally intended. If this happens to you, don't automatically start trying to force things back on track. This is the worst thing you can do to your story. Instead, look in the new direction, pretend you don't already have an outline, and ask yourself what lies ahead. If you like what you see, it might be time to scrap the old plot and plan anew for this one.

I think that covers most of the basics. I'm sure this has been done before, but now I've put my two cents in. :P Hope some of you find this useful.
<3Rabbit
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot