z

Young Writers Society

Question

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:24 pm
Jamie_rocks says...

OK, I'm writing a story, and it has a lot to do with the main character's traumatized past. I guess It's basically an opinion thing, but should I start off with her as a child so the readers start off knowing, or just jump into her as an adult and explain the childhood as it goes along. Please someone reply.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 am
Firearris says...

Hmm, I think it would be more interesting if it started as an Adult, then piece by piece, the past is revealed. It makes it more interesting and would make me want to read more of it to find out a bit more of her past. ^_^ If it starts as a child, it gives it all away.

Does this make sense? PM me if anything doesn't make sense, or if you have other questions. ^_^

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:23 am
Icaruss says...

I do a lot of jumping back and forth in my stories. Most of my favorite books ("La Ciudad y los Perros", "La Casa Verde", both by Mario Vargas Llosa) build their stories by presenting tiny pieces of a huge picture, until it starts to come together. It makes the book more interesting, I think. It's like a mystery. You don't know why a character acts a certain way, and then you read why, and it's like: "Oh." Or you don't know why a certain part of the book is important, until you read another part that's somehow related to it, and you go: "Oh."

Vargas Llosa takes this to an extreme, by actually using different names for flashbacks (a character named Bob, for example, can be referred to as The Boy in some sections), which makes it harder to tell who it is the narrator is talking about until everything falls in together, and then it's beautiful.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:32 am
Shafter says...

I agree, start with the adult life and show through different plot devices, such as flashbacks (handle with care!) and hints at her past. "Poison Study" is a good example of this (and an all-around good novel). And remember, the traumatized past means nothing unless the character is believable and sympathetic in the present.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm
Rydia says...

I agree that starting with your character as an adult would work best but it might be interesting to have a prologue of when the character was a child, just to build a little suspense.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 pm
Gahks says...

Yes, agree with Firearris: a fractured narrative like this would be far more suspenseful and generate greater interest.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:48 pm
Jamie_rocks says...

OK, thanks, now I can finally start. :)
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:30 pm
Kang227 says...

Three options here, most have been suggested already. I'd agree that fractured narrative is your best bet for suspense. Dramatic irony (where the audience knowns what's going on but the character doesn't) is extremely hard to pull off, especially when it's your central theme.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief