z

Young Writers Society

Finding the know-it-all.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 pm
Twit says...

There's always one. Or two, if you come from Zazu's family. Always someone ready to pick out your mistakes and tell them to All and Sundry. All will come and tell you about it, while Sundry sniggers in the background.

So, do your research.

It doesn't matter if it's about the most mundane things, find out if it's true. Like in Megan Whalen Turner's book, The Thief. I read that ages ago, and while I can't remember everything about it, I do remember that at one point she said about "the grass that had been kept short by grazing goats from nearby villages" ... or words to that effect.

The problem is that goats don't graze. They scavenge.

And yes, I do realize that by pointing this out, I have labelled myself as one of the annoying know-it-alls in the audience.

If you cheat and think that no one will ever know, Anthony, then there will be someone who knows and will take indecent delight in pointing this fact out.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed May 21, 2008 9:31 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

This is a very good point - one that I definitely need to work on, lol.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 pm
JFW1415 says...

Haha, that's a good tip.

Another reason why it's good to have others look at your work. If you thought you were correct, the critiquer will point it out for you.

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 pm
Kang227 says...

*Holds up Eragon*

Everyone see this? Hmm? Can everyone see this clearly?

This...is how NOT to do it.

I mean, come ON. A clean butcher shop. A rapier and broadsword in the same time period. And it goes on.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm
Perra says...

I feel so sorry for the horses in Eragon. So much galloping, so little rest. :(
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow