z

Young Writers Society

Question

Reviews: 0
Wed May 14, 2008 7:48 pm
Ajuntah pall says...

I just joined YWS and I do like it, but it says i have to write two reviews before posting your work, I've looked around the forums and I don't know where it shows you how you review someones work, i mean, is it just giving your opinion on the work, or is it correcting it or what? :?:

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 pm
spaced_out says...

well, you have to correct nad give your thoughts.
kind of like school. But we are better. And if you have any qquestions, ask a mod.

then if you got anymore q. PM someone else.
space
if you can dream YOU CAN DO IT!

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm
Perra says...

There are actually quite a few articles sprinkled around the site:

How to Write a Good Critique

What isn't a Good Critique

Critiquing Tutorials

If all else fails, take a look at how others - especially ones with purple, green, or red names (blue works, too) - do theirs.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Go to the Literary forums and click "post reply" on someone's work if you want to review something. If you find some mistakes in someone's story, just kindly explain to them what the problem was and suggest they fix it. Be polite, but be thorough. People appreciate it. :D

Did that help?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun May 18, 2008 3:02 pm
Summerless says...

Reviewing, at least for me, it when you give feedback.

Example:

This poem was really confusing for me to comprehend. Omit the word "and" in the third line in stanza one--the "and" is unneeded. Stanzas two and five didn't flow together--perhaps try fixing the last line of both stanzas.

I liked the similes and personification you used, though. They were unique. Try substituting poetic elements for the parts in your poem that tell.

Hope this helps,
Summerless

I usually submit a review similar to that. I try to find places in need of improvement and parts that really are fantastic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

How to review something? You see the navigation bar at the top of your YWS window? It should say "Home" and "My YWS" and "Community," etc. Hover over the navigation icon titled "Writing." A new mini navigation list should appear saying "Read and Review," etc. Click "Read and Review."

You will then be shown a whole list of forum topics--mostly genres of writing and poetry. Pick one of the topics (like Dramatic Poetry) and then a list of works by other authors will show up. Choose any of them and read his/her piece of writing.

Then you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and there will be a box titled "Quick Reply." You can type your review in there and then press submit.

Make sure your review is constructive--nothing like "that was really good. i liked it." The more detailed your review is, the more points you earn and the more you help another writer. :]

I hope this helps and welcome to YWS!
- Summerless

Put me in the fqluote generator. I say wise things.
— RigoTheHacker