z

Young Writers Society

Free indirect & free direct speech

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:42 pm
Gahks says...

These cropped up in my English Literature GCSE course and sounded like really interesting techniques to use. If you want to utilise them, how and when do you do it to give the best effect?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:42 pm
Meep says...

I'm not sure I've ever heard the terms before ... want to give us some definitions/examples? Thanks.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 am
Heidigirl666 says...

I have no idea what they are either. :?

I try not to think about 'techniques' when I'm writing though. I just write how I like to write. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 pm
Gahks says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_indirect_speech

Examples of free indirect speech:

"...we will not ask how much of the fine lady, who could scarcely bear to hear the place mentioned." (Hard Times, Charles Dickens)

"What had brought such a pair together? This was a mystery to the dozens of households living in Unity Mansions..." (The Tall Woman and Her Short Husband, Feng ji-cai)

"the father liked to wink...at business friends while remarking - well, one had to understand, they liked to be alone, none of the old fogies around them" (The Young Couple, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala)

An example of free direct speech:

"Here let me see that one - the young woman curved her body farther out of the corridor window. Missus? smiled the old man, looking at the creatures he held in his hand." (The Train from Rhodesia, Nadine Gordimer)
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm
Sureal says...

This came up in the swearing in stories thread.
I wrote the above just for you.

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh