z

Young Writers Society

Writing Playlists

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:12 pm
Embroswyn15 says...

I recommend that anyone who writes a lot, or even just a little for fun but especially for those who write professionally, create a playlist of their favorite songs on their computer or iPod to listen to when they are writing. It has helped me get through writers block before, as well as helping me let the words flow out of my and keep me concentrated. I'm a music freak so this is a major part of my creative process. I highly recommend making one for yourself. It really does wonders.
Don't tell me you love me unless you really mean it because I might do something crazy like believe it.

The Story or Esme Cullen: A Series

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:51 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I have a writing playlist! It actually evolved sort of accidentally. I just started hearing songs that reminded me of my story. It's really helpful to play them when you're writing.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:59 pm
Aedomir says...

I just listen to the Foo Fighters, I must make a playlist! :wink:
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:20 am
Rakun says...

How about to listen Muse, R.E.M and interpol? I like alternative music when I am free writing.
Japanese music (classic and modern) is excellent in comic and funny actions between my characters, also in figths.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:43 pm
Ross says...

I listen to music depending on the genre. If I'm writing something romantic, I'll listen to "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion or "Say It Again" by Marie Digby.

Horror: "Haunted" by Evanesence

Coming-Of-Age: "Brave" by Idina Menzel and/or "Metamorphis" by Hilary Duff

Adventure: "Taking Chances" by Platinum Weird, "Like Whoa" by Aly and AJ

Hope this helps!

DW

P.S. For those of you who say, how can a DEAF person listen to music? I pop a CD on the player and do it up over half (sometimes to the max) of the maximum sound. And my hearing aid helps too.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:42 pm
Monki says...

Wow. Can't believe I never thought of this before. I just did it. Hope it works wonders. :)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 pm
Gahks says...

Use Finetune for playlists: it's really cool and easy-to-use.

http://www.finetune.com
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:49 am
Swires says...

Be careful. Songs with words can throw a spanner into your creative engine sometimes and result in poorer work.

I listen to classical music: Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Wagner are my favorites.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:49 pm
Aneke says...

I've found that the very best thing for me to listen to whilst writing has been trance/electronic. The steady, repetitive nature of it turns it instantly into a background rhythm for my brain and makes me work pretty well. ;) Most of it doesn't have lyrics to distract you, either. The stuff's not real popular in America but here are a few of my favorites: Ferry Corsten, Above & Beyond, Deepsky, Chicane, Way Out West, and Gabriel & Dresden. :)

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:10 pm
pegasi_quill says...

I tend to listen to music soundtracks :)

LOTR works a lot of the time, as do some songs from Disney classics. However, I tend to stick to the stuff without words, so as not to be distracted.

Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks work... there's a lot of such things.

But, yeah, a writing playlist is great - and definately helpful. Well, in my experience.
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:42 pm
Lilith says...

The author Stephenie Meyer (Host, the Twilight Series) lists the playlists for her stories here http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight_playlist.html here http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/nm_playlist.html and here http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/ecl_playlist.html.

A lot of the songs that I listen to when I write come from bands like Seether, Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, and Three Days Grace because they have lyrics that are meaningful to me.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:10 pm
Antares says...

I love that she listened to 'why does it always rain on me?' for Twilight. Poor Bella hates the rain! :P

As I am a fan of older songs (70s, 80s) it's quite hard to find suitable playlists. I usually listen to some Billy Joel or Rolling Stones if I'm having trouble writing. One song I used to listen to all the time when I was moody and couldn't find the right words was Sweet's 'Wig Wam Bam.' That song just makes me smile. I write a load of nonsense afterwards but at least it's something.

If you like complete peace and quiet while you are writing then this isn't for you. If you're not sure just try experimenting and see what works. One thing I will say is don't just listen to music that you like - if you are writing from the point of view of a character who is really angry or annoyed then listening to your least favourite artist can get you in the right frame of mind. :wink: I find that classical music is good for concentration.
'Moses Kiptanui - the 19 year old Kenyan, who turned 20 a few weeks ago.'
'If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.' David Coleman
'Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match.' Ian Wright

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 am
ButterFlyInk says...

I have found that listening to your favorite t.v show's soundtracks help.
For me It has to be veronica mars soundtrack. :D
Also movie scores are excellent.
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:59 pm
scribblingquill says...

Clair de lune by Claude Debussy and Someone Else by Thomas Newman are both great when your trying to be inspiring or powerful.

It depends.

I listen to what goes with what I'm writing (usually i have a score worked out for my stories, like what would be playing when if it was a movie), like for a fast chase with suspense etc I would have Shut me Up by Mindless Self Indulgence.

Basically listen to whatever goes with what your writing, whether that be classical or acid punk. ^_^

this is the playlist to one of my books: http://www.playlist.com/node/40462261
Last edited by scribblingquill on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this bass REALLY strong enough?

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Gladius says...

Hm. I'm wondering now if I should try to change my playlist. XD

I find it too much of a bother for me to be so specific about my music that it fits whatever scene I'm writing. Either I don't listen to it, or when I do I'm usually stuck. ^^;

Music-wise, though, I've found that videogame tunes work as well for non-lyric stuff to listen to. I'm wondering, though, if listening to stuff I know so well kinda stiffles the creative process because I'm concentrating on humming to the music instead of writing. :P It's great for proofreading, though! :D
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles