z

Young Writers Society

How do I stop myself from slacking off?

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:10 pm
Squall says...

Hey guys. Well I have a creative writing assessment due in two weeks time and I've already started writing for it. Basically, we are to write a short 400-500 piece on the theme of "Memories are us". I've pretty much spent like 3-4 days writing out only like 280 words + for my first draft before I had realized that my idea would not work in a 400-500 short piece as it would had felt rather rushed and awkward due to the nature of my idea.

The problem is this: I didn't think it was necessary for me to spend like 3-4 days writing out only 280 words. I seem to have a habit of procrastinating via YWS chat, watching TV, MSN, playing Dota (Warcraft III: Frozen Throne customized map ) on battle net, listening to music etc. I dunno why, I just find it addicting and I can't help it. I try to turn everything off, even shutting the door, but I find myself suffocating in the heat of my bedroom and feel a bit awkward and restless working in silence. Problem is that if I turn everything back on, I seem to find myself unable to think. "sigh".

Well I really want to be able to have a good day of writing and polishing up my short piece up. I love the idea that I have thought up for the piece, it's the actual execution and wording that I find the most challenging, and I'm somehow easily distracted.

I really want to get the excellence grade again for the English 2.1 Creative Writing Achievement Standard for NCEA, but I have realized that I won't be able to have that grade count towards for my qualifications if I don't have one very good day of writing and polishing. I'm thinking of taking my 1st draft with me tomorrow, along with pen and paper and just rewrite it in the study room in my local library. Problem with that is that my library is built into the Town Plaza so it's a bit like a disco in there, as well as the awkwardness that I feel when writing within a group of other people.

I really need your help, and any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 8)

Andy.

P.S: If you guys are curious as to what the assessment is like, then here is the link http://www.tki.org.nz/r/ncea/eng2_1B5_26apr07.doc

Right now, I'm like kinda jealous of the excellence example that they had shown in that -.- lol
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 pm
Kadie says...

First thing i would do is break my story down into parts, and then allocate each part a rough word count, so i don't go too over.

Turn off your game, close your internet pages, make sure there's silence, and just sit there thinking about what you want to write for a while. Make sure you have a clear picture in your head, it'll come more easy for you.

And then if you still can't write, force yourself. I know your not supposed to force yourself to write, that it should come naturally and all that. But if you force out something, you'll go back and look at it and see how terrible it is, and you'll have something to improve upon.

This is just my way of coping when i have assignments and stuff, it may or may not work for you.

I also have a specific time that i write.

Like, say i had an assignment and it was due in in a week. I'd write, every day, at the same time for about and hour or so, to kinda get into a rythm if you know what i mean.

I hope this helps.

Kadie xxx

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm
Rydia says...

Have you tried writing in your room with just a little background noise, like some music but nothing too loud or heavy that would distract you? Or is there a nice little cafe near you where you could sit in a corner with a cup of hot chocolate or whatever you like to drink, maybe an mp3 player and then a writing pad and pen?

Thinking of suggestions is quite hard because every person is different - I personally prefer silence or very little sound - but there's some factors you should consider - sound, food and drink, company and place. You'll probably work better in a light, nicely decorated room but it actually depends on what you're writing. If you're writing about a dark cellar or something like that, maybe you should see if you can take a day trip to go see one and get a feel for the atmosphere and then write down ideas and such while you're there.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:45 am
Tessitore says...

Being distracted by lovely distractions has always been a battle for the writer.

My greatest suggestion is quite simple; do something you've not done in a long time. Take a walk, spend the day at a park, go OUT somewhere that is not where you usually are. Take an evening stroll or a bikeride or, if the weathers nice enough where you are, a swim somewhere.

I find that physical movement and exertion can coax out the writing process. Bring writing implements with you.

We are of a highly advanced age, where many find that paper and pencil are obsolete, but something about the world at your fingertips can be awfully distracting. Find time to commune with your inner writer and all of its needs.

Remember that we all used to write on paper once, scribble in notebooks, scribe on parchment. Sometimes a return to the basics is just what we (and maybe YOU) need.

Hope that helps.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr