z

Young Writers Society

Stream of Consciousness Writing

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 pm
Gahks says...

Can it work? When is it best to use it?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Yes, of course it can work, but (in my opinion) only limitedly. I personally prefer to work in past tense, and while I acknowledge that not all present-tense work is s.o.c., I find that particular device most useful when I need to get my reader as deeply into a single character's thoughts/emotions/experiences as possible. For myself, I almost only ever use it in dreams or during moments of extreme crisis and/or import. (P.S. Stream of consciousness doesn't have to be present-tense, btw).
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:20 pm
Emerson says...

I think it works best [for me] in small doses. I did some of it in a short story and it worked out pretty well, no one really noticed or complained. It might not make a whole lot of sense:

“No, Agatha, they will. I don’t even know why the hell you want to go tonight. You’re crazy, you know? You’re going to find someone you want me to kill and I’m going to go to jail because of you.” He resorted to staring out the window and fantasizing. His hands would crawl up her sides as his knees pinned her to the seat and then he would squeeze so tight around her neck that she would—no, he wasn’t that kind of person. Deep breaths, he told himself.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered. “I’ve been worrying about this for a while now.”

From The Party Killers short story. (But you should read the novel instead!)

That's stream of consciousness, isn't it? For me, it works in little places. I'm not sure you could write a whole poem or story or novel off of it, because the conscience is so crazy and wild. It might work for some things. Oh, and now that I think about it, I have another story that might be stream of consciousness. It worked for that because the story was in first person, and about a panic attack, so stream of consciousness put the reader right in the heart of the action.

You have to be careful with it though. *babbles*
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle