z

Young Writers Society

Writing Goals, Rituals etc.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:49 pm
Gahks says...

I don't like having a set number of words to write - I find it too constraining. I prefer just having a set time and place to write (lunchtimes in the school library in term time).

A curious question: Does anyone have any interesting writing rituals? Like always having their pet soft toy near their desk or something. I certainly don't!

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:01 pm
Aedomir says...

I have set myself a target of around 140k of words, which encourages me to make the storyline advanced and... good.

I hate set times. Too much pressure, but NaNo is the exception!

I always have a notebook by me keyboard in case I get tired frm typing.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 pm
tinny says...

I find people who want to read the story, and then I have people waiting on me, that tends to get me going.

I always wear a hat. Otherwise I get hair in me face. More practicality then ritual.

I don't have a set time because I tend to flit about too much. There are times when I tend to write more, but I don't like to stick myself to something.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:29 pm
time_fox says...

I always write during study hall no matter what. Even if I only have 2 minutes I will write a few sentence.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 am
yoha_ahoy says...

I write wherever I can, whenever I need to. I only ever need to write when I'm inspried. Sometimes that's when I'm sitting right at the computer. Othertimes it will be while I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. (Hence why a notebook and numerous pens live next to my bed.) Or like right now, I'm writing on the back of a photograph in my photography class. ;)

As for NaNo, that's different. That's always on my ancient lappy with a giant bag of M&M's near by. XD I just write when it comes to me, and it's always unexpected.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:54 pm
Brackynn says...

I do my best to write whenever I can, but sometimes it's hard to get inspiration. I love word count goals -- I'm of the school of thought that you can't edit a blank page, so if what I write is total crud, let it be total crud. It's a first draft. I can fix it up later. But I can't fix it if I haven't written it.

I usually set myself a goal of five hundred words in fifteen minutes. I make it perhaps 70% of the time, which is good -- it's certainly achievable, but not easy.

When I'm feeling particularly cruel and I just need to get some words down, I sit facing a doorway in straddle, using the walls to keep my legs pushed out to the sides with a laptop sitting on the other side of the doorway. I don't get up until I meet a word count goal. It hurts like crazy, but it's brilliant. I get word count and work on my flexibility all at once. Ta da!
"A person is a fool to become a writer."
--Roald Dahl

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:46 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I wish I had some kind of writing ritual. It would make me sound like a mysterious author or something to people who don't know me...

However, I must admit that I am an exceedingly boring author. The only thing that I do the same is that I try to write at least 200 words per sitting... It does add up though, so I highly recommend it...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:55 am
Rakun says...

Is ritual my habit to write a prompt?
I means, I google a prompt and I answer it.
I love doing it.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss