z

Young Writers Society

Ahhh! Too many ideas! *brain explodes* - A guide

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:37 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Does this inner dialogue sound familiar?
You wrote:Yay! This new idea is great. I just have to write it down and start working on it… OMG! This idea is even better! XD I’ll work on it instead, I have more ideas for it!

o.O No way. This other idea is AWESOME!!!! :D I feel bad about those other two, they were good… oh well. This one is better! ^_^

If this is you, then you are suffering OverActive Inspiration Gland-itous, more commonly known as OAIG*. It is a chronic condition that many writers are forced to endure. If you are always coming up with new ideas, the newest usually seeming better than it’s predecessor, then you probably have OAIG. Luckily, there are some natural remedies that don’t involve a painful operation.

But first: do you have a notepad? A pen? O.O You don’t?! How are you going to write down all these new ideas as they come to you? Are you sure you have OAIG? With a overflowing well of ideas in your head, you’d think such essentials would be fused to your skin because you’re always using them. No. No excuses. Go get a notepad and something to write with. I don’t want to see you without them.

*waits*

Back? Great! Below I have documented some effective remedies for OAIG*. But be warned, these remedies aren’t right for everyone. Consult your Inspiration Expert to see if they are right for you. :wink:

*OAIG is not to be confused with TMADS (Too Many Awesome Dreams Syndrome) or IDNI (I Desperately Need Ideas-itous). See ‘I had the most brilliant dream last night…again!’ and ‘o.O My paper is still blank! Help!’ for details on how to handle these other serious conditions*. ^_^

1 – The aggressive/assertive Approach
You are in control. You are the boss. You will buckle down and stick to it. Pick an idea you like, and work on it. Don’t let new ideas distract you, just write them down and set them aside. You can always come back to them later. If you find yourself hitting a block, and worried that you’re about to put the story down: stop. Stop trying to write your story, and work on the details. Write down a list of all the things you need to do (research, plotting) or do character sketches to get to know them better. Or, go back and revise what you’re already done. When you feel you can continue, start working again.

2 - The sneaky approach
You can’t seem to force yourself to work on an idea. You have so many and it’s so hard to just stick to one! Trick yourself. Hunt through all the stuff you’ve got, and find an idea you like and want to work on. Re-read what you’ve already done (this works best on an idea you haven’t worked on recently). You might just find your interest rekindled! Use that renewed interest to work on it. Then, if a new idea distracts you, let it. But when you feel like you should be working on that old idea, go back to it and repeat the steps. This way, even though you’ll be distracted by new ideas every now and again, you will still be coming back to your main one.

3 – The approach most people can’t pull off
No guesses? Work on more than one! Pick a few (2, 3) ideas you really like, and when one bores you go to the next, then the next, then back to the first. This works best if the ideas are different (maybe even different genres), for variety. Most people, however, recommend against working on more than one story at once. It can get overwhelming.

4 – The outside help approach
Maybe you can’t do it alone. Maybe you need an extra push. Good news! There are 2 ways that I’ve found work.
a. Find a friend who likes to read, and preferably who will read your work. When you find an idea you’d like to commit to without distractions, share it with them. Have them read it and give you feedback. Make sure they ask you every now and again what progress you’ve made. They’ll be your babysitter, making sure you get it done and don’t distract yourself. A friendly reminder, if you will.
b. Encouragement. This is what did it for me. We write for ourselves, because we enjoy it. But let’s be honest, we also write with the hopes of sharing our work and being well received. So if you can find people who like what you do, then you’ll find yourself extra motivated to stick to it, because now it’s not just you who wants to see it done; it’s other people as well. Doesn’t always work, but it’s helpful. ^_^

5 – The self-motivation approach
Why are you writing? What could make you commit? Set yourself a goal, and a reward. If you meet your goal, you get the reward. You want that new shirt? Well you can’t have it until you finish chapter one. Find things to motivate you, and tie them to your writing goals.

6 – The mixed approach
These are different ways to handle OAIG, but don’t hesitate to mix them up! Everyone has a different style, feel free to try them out and see what works best for you! :wink:

If these remedies aren't right for you, contact your Inspiration Expert!

^_^ Keek!
Last edited by Sleeping Valor on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:46 pm
Aedomir says...

Wow great ideas! Nice names for the illnesses :-D

This is me! I like to mix them up, and see hwat happens.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 pm
Gahks says...

Don't forget the Hollywood Approach: Which idea has the most 'legs'?

And top tip: if you're overflowing with ideas (as I am often), just GET THEM DOWN! You can always return to them later when you're having an inspiration drought.

Gahks :D
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 am
MidnightVampire says...

Ok, what one of my friends does is she sticks to one, she just will stare at it for hours if she gets writers block, even if she has a different idea. What does she do with the other idea? She puts it in the Idea Box! Make an idea box, decorate it however you want (it's a box where you can write all your ideas in), and whenever you get any ideas, but it in the box. Then, when your done with that piece of work, or someone else needs an idea (and you don't mind them looking) then go through all your ideas!

That's another way.

~MV
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:53 am
BrokenSword says...

I think I have this problem. I've started 3 stories, but none of them have been finished yet (and I already put them up on FFN!) I started one, it was going well, but I made some silly and forced decisions and kind of gave up on it. The second one I'm still working on but have stopped for now (too busy). the 3rd one is the one I am most enthusiastic about right now, but I'm afraid I'm a loser because I can't finish stories I start! :(

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

You're not a loser, you just have too many ideas. It's a gift and a curse. Also, you probably have trouble staying interested. =P I know I have LOTS of stories I never finished. Zillons. And each one I was sure was going to be the one I finished. >.< I know DoaV has my attention now, and I would really like to get it done. What helps most is that I have readers on YWS who actually like it, so it's like I know in advance I'm not putting my heart into something no one will like. =P
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:46 am
NewWriter says...

BrokenSword wrote:I think I have this problem. I've started 3 stories, but none of them have been finished yet (and I already put them up on FFN!) I started one, it was going well, but I made some silly and forced decisions and kind of gave up on it. The second one I'm still working on but have stopped for now (too busy). the 3rd one is the one I am most enthusiastic about right now, but I'm afraid I'm a loser because I can't finish stories I start! :(

Point 1: You don't have a problem. It's natural for a writer to have a lot of ideas.

Point 2: If you're a loser (which you're definitely not) then I'm an even bigger loser. I have 5--no,6--stories that I've kinda either given up on or have writer's block on. And I keep getting new ideas every day.

Point 3: This happens to everyone. Keep switching around and don't worry. Just don't try to start a new story in the middle of the current one. It doesn't work. I know from experience. :wink:

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love