z

Young Writers Society

Music & Writing

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:21 pm
Gahks says...

Do you like playing music in the background when you write? I like playing soft, mellow music.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:30 pm
souldier says...

I used to listen to music, but now it distracts me. I find the loud hum of my computer helps me to write though.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 pm
Blue Fairy says...

I like having some kind of distration or noise in the background eg. television, radio

other people annoy me if they talk while i'm writing.

silence is too silent to write.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 pm
khfan890 says...

Depending on what type of scene I'm writing depends on the type of music I have in the background. I sometimes use music, I sometimes don't. And I hate it when people talk while I'm trying to write!
Death is no respecter of persons. Just felt like saying that.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 am
CaitE Baloney says...

Yeah I really think it depends on the type of music that you listen to. I find that I can write better with low key music in the background. I really hate it as well when people talk it distracts me to much to continue writing.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."-Robert Frost

"Dreams are the future in rough draft."

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

I don't know. It's a personality/work ethics thing. Some people can write awesomely when they're listening to loud, clashing music. I work best with a soundtrack, usually rock that can express the emotions of my story but it depends on the volume.

So whatever works for you, I suppose. :] I've seen a lot of classical music preferences from our YWers. It's all about personal preferences.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:01 pm
Jamie Falcon says...

Usually, having music on just distracts me. It has to be like, dead silent, so that I can think. I do, however, listen to music directly before writing -- most of the time. Usually the songs will give me some sort of inspiration, and then I can go ahead and write.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 pm
chocoholic says...

I write better while listening to music. I always lisen to popular stuff. Nothing released before 1999. Although I have noticed that nobody else seems to listen to it on here, at least, not on any playlists I've looked at.

I can write without music, but I have to be able to hear more than my pen or the keys. Silence is just... ugh. I hate it when writing.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 pm
Via says...

I used to listen to music when I wrote, but I just end up with the lyrics in whatever I'm writing so I usually don't. If I need an idea I will flip through some song titles on my iTunes but I won't listen to them. I do usually have something going on in the background (the tv, a movie, a professor attempting to talk me to death).
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:41 am
wildnaturespirit says...

I dont like music while I write, but before I write listening to music helps ideas start moving. It only works if I listen to the music and think about like themes, emotions or the story behind the song. Then one thought will lead to another, and another and I have like a flood of ideas.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:31 pm
Stori says...

Silence is good. It's our friend.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:55 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

It depends on the kind of music. I can't listen to music with no lyrics when I am writing for some reason. It just doesn't work for me. But when it is a song with words, I tend to sing along out loud and when I do that, I can't type or write, or I will start writing the lyrics unconsciously. So... I try, but that doesn't mean it's good for me.

:P

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

I have somewhat bad A.D.D. so I can't listen to music, and if I do, I won't be able to think. It's all right though if a noise is continous and repetitive - like a fan.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:06 pm
Eimear says...

I listen to the radio or a soap/drama on the televison when I'm writing dialouge, as it helps me work out how people talk, interupt, don't finish sentences...ect.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

Reviews: 1
Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:13 pm
Kakistocrat says...

Writing can be very comforting and stimulating, but it also has an uncanny ability to dictate how I write.

I tend to listen to cinematic or classical compositions while I'm writing, because I envision stories in a very cinematic way. I know when and where there close-ups, long shots, changes in lighting, etc. When the music emphasizes those aspects, I find that it invigorates my writing style.

For instance, when my characters are in great peril in a mass of confusion, one of my particularly favorite pieces of music to play is "Bridge of Khazad Dum" by Howard Shore from "The Fellowship of the Ring." It sets my mood and gives me an idea of my character's feelings.

Probably my favorite composers to listen to while writing are Howard Shore, Harry-Gregson Williams, David Holsinger, Claude T. Smith, and Eric Whitacre.

I don't tend to rock or any sort of "radio" music while I write. The words and voices tend to be too distracting. Choral and orchestral do the best job for me.

-Kakky-
"The ironic thing about life is that nobody comes out of it alive."

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson