z

Young Writers Society

Music & Writing

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:43 pm
OrangeNailpolish says...

I always listen to music, I either listen to the radio, a cd, my ipod, or I have a song stuck in my head. Music is really the only thing that keeps me on task. I get distracted very easily, but for some reason, music keeps me focused.

I usually listen to the radio on itunes. But there are a few radio stations I listen to online as well. The music I usually listen to when writing is Alternative Rock and Christian Rock. I will sometimes listen to a cd or my music, but I always feel the need to change the song or restart the song.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:54 pm
time_fox says...

I listen to many different things when I'm writing. If I'm writing a romatic sence I listen to slow music, when I'm writing a fight sence or something like it I listen to Metal music. In genral I just listen to whatever I want to, to help me keep writng and sometimes I will just play the same song and I can write for hours.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Aedomir says...

I love listening to music while writing. The tune gives me grat ideas. For example, Long Road to Ruin by the Foo Fighters. The lyrics aren't that good, but the tune is really fun and interseintg
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 am
BrokenSword says...

This is an older topic, but I thought it was interesting.
It's hard for me to write when I'm listening to music that has lyrics in it. Otherwise, I start writing the lyrics. I find that lounge music, "space age bachelor pad" music, and big band style jazz, makes me write easier. I listen to Luxuria radio on iTunes, too.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:15 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I play music all the time while I'm writing.

Not only does it drown out any other distracting sounds, but I think it really helps if I play music that's in keeping with the mood of my writing.

Quite often with a book I'll choose one album or one artist that I listen to the whole way through. I love finding just the right song to play while I'm writing a particular piece.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:37 am
JFW1415 says...

I listen to music, but I have specific playlists just for writing. Also, when I'm doing my final (well, I'm never really done, but before I post it on YWS) draft, I turn off the music.

~JFW1415

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:48 am
flytodreams says...

I can't write anything, unless there's music playing. I've also tried listening to songs that match the mood of what I'm writing, works wonders! :D
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:49 am
Rakun says...

Muisc inspire me in the poor time of the times.
That I always play music.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 pm
Tyd says...

I like to listen to Final Fantasy OSTs :X Reminds me of when i was little and was soo hooked into those stories that i would not put the game down for days :D
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:56 am
hellodaydream says...

I like to listen to piano music and fantasy game soundtracks (Tales of Legendia is by far the best). It always makes me feel like I'm in some far off place where no one can bother me.

For lack of a proper word, it makes me feel floaty.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue May 06, 2008 2:26 am
Conrad Rice says...

With me it really depends. Sometimes I listen to heavy rock stuff, like Metallica or Disturbed. Other times it's instrumental stuff, like anything from the Halo soundtracks. And frequently I'll listen to audiobooks. Both of them are Stephen King books. The Gunslinger and On Writing, which is read by the author himself. It all changes from time to time, but I do agree that I would rather listen to something while I write rather than nothing.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow