z

Young Writers Society

Agent or Publisher: who do I contact first?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:57 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Hello YWS!

I have recently begun seriously looking at having my fantasy novel, Gypsie Eyes, published. My first step, of course, was to get my hands on material that would help me do that and ask other writers the best way to go about it. The two books that have been most helpful to me are Orson Scott Card's How To Write Science Fiction and Fantasy and, of course, the 2008 edition of Novel and Short Story Writer's Market.

While both of these sources have been incredibly helpful, there is one thing that I cannot get a clear idea on: do I get an agent and then approach a publishing house, or do I get a contract with a publishing house and then approach an agent? Card seems to think you get the contract first, and the Writer's Market presents pros and cons of both strategies.

Keeping in mind that this is my first novel, and I have no previous publishing history (aside from this site), what would you advise?
Last edited by gyrfalcon on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:58 pm
Teague says...

Three words: Publishing for Dummies.

When I finish my novel, I'm buying it right away. xD
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm
Emerson says...

Keep in mind I haven't published either, but I've read a lot on the topic. ^_^

Go for the agent. Just like an actor's agent, they will hunt out the best deals for you, find the publishing companies for you, bargain for you. Be nice to your agent, love your agent, and be friends with your agent. It's their goal to get your work published, because if it does, they get a percentage (which in my opinion is completely worth it). You might want to get a professional editor before sending it off, as well. I'm not sure if you can or if your agent would do that, but, er yeah.

Just be careful looking for an agent. I've heard horror stories about finding an agent and then they run off with your money/story. Usually the former. If an agent asks for money up front, throw their number out and ignore their calls. No agent will ask you for money up front. I believe there is a last of registered American agents online someone, as well as a list of agent scams.. I'm not sure.

I can go through my magazine's and things and see if I find any more info ^_^ I hope you get it pubished! We can have a party at a local book store.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm
Incandescence says...

Most publisher's won't consider your work without an Agent behind it.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 am
Snoink says...

Go through an agent.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 am
Monki says...

I suggest to you an agent. No, I have never been published and haven't ever attempted to get an agent, but that's because I'm not exactly done with my novel yet. I'm in the middle of it right now. :oops: I should be done, but I'm a major procrastinator... There! I said it! Happy now?! Lol. Anyway, an agent will get you the best publisher. So, trust me. Go through an agent.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

440 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:20 am
gyrfalcon says...

Wow! This has been really helpful guys, and I think I'm getting a pretty solid consensus. ;) Thanks for all your help; keep it coming!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

i haven't quite finished my novel yet either, but everything I've read suggests you go through an agent first.

www.writers.net.com

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/agents.html

This one is like "Publishing for Dummies" ^
Last edited by lyrical_sunshine on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:55 pm
snap says...

Definitely, DEFINITELY an agent. A year ago I was looking to get my book published (although I wasn't successful, and have since realized that my novel sucked and needed some serious renovations) and not only will publishers not really consider work submitted directly to them, but they will also allow agents to submit, say, the entire manuscript to them, whereas you, by yourself would only be able to submit the first 50 pages. I've done this before (and am about to do it again) so if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm
Wiggy says...

Agent, most definitely, Amy. It'll save you so much hassle and trouble, and whenever you get it published, trust me, you'll love your agent to bits! So yeah, go with the agent. :)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 pm
Sureal says...

Make sure it's a reputable agent, and not a scam or anything.
I wrote the above just for you.

440 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Yeah, scam-avoidance was one of the big reasons I went with a source as reputable as Writer's Market and didn't go searching on the internet. I'm getting a deffinate agent-first vibe, and while all you guys have said makes sense, Card reccomdends getting a contract with a publisher before you approach an agent, so you look like a much better risk, and even Writer's Market hinted that, for you first novel, an agent is not absolutely necessary. I'm not saying I'm going to act on that, but what do you guys think?

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 pm
Incandescence says...

gyr--

Preditors & Editors is also a good reference.

Cheers!
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 pm
Sureal says...

Card's book is almost two decades old. I don't have my copy with me, but I believe he even states in the opening that some of the advice he gives may date. Personally, I'd go with the 2008 edition of Writer's Market if I were you.
I wrote the above just for you.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:17 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Yes, definitely an agent. Preferably one that's part of the national writing group, I forgot their name, but that particular group has agents governed by a rule, that they cannot charge reading fees and the like. I'll try to look it up, but yes. Generally an agent shouldn't have to ask you for upfront fees, since they garner their money off of your royalties and somuch% commission, or so. It's all in the Market book.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight