z

Young Writers Society

Agent or Publisher: who do I contact first?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Yep, agent probably best.

Publishing companies are more likely to consider manuscripts sent to them through an agent, as it's already gone through their selection process, and an agent won't take on work unless they think they can make money out of it. It's not true that most publishers won't take on a manuscript unless it's through an agent, but some won't.

It's probably as hard, if not harder to find a good agent who is taking on clients. Even harder if you're looking in the UK like poor old little me. :roll:

Look at other clients they have (if you can) and google them to find out their reputation. Check their submission guidelines. Some want a one page synopsis, some two, some ten pages, some want two sample chapters, some three...it's a complicated process. Some want a CV (yikes) and some only want a short bio from you. If you don't know what their submission guidelines are, email them (or call if they live in the dark ages and don't have email...I'm always slightly suspicious of this; they're supposed to be a professional agency-and some of them genuinely are, members of things and everything-but they don't have an email address for enquiries?? Weird... :shock: ) and ask. Preferably find out the individual agent's name as to who you're sending it to, although I'm sure you probably know all that.

Not sure what the thing's called in the US or whether it's the same, but agents here who are supposed to be the most reputable are members of the Association of Author's Agents. You want to preferably find one that's a member of a similar thing (although there are some which aren't but have big clients, you could probably rely on them too)

I've found some agents only want you to send your work to them, and only them at one time though...and I don't think that's fair. That's a very, very slow way to get anywhere, considering it can take about 6 weeks to hear back from them. Send it to as many as possible at once! That way you give yourself the most chances, that's my advice.

But oh no, another fantasy book.... :shock: Aren't there enough out there? :lol: Just kidding. :smt016
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 pm
Rei says...

In Canada, there are lots of publishers out there that don't require an agent. But it's true, they do look at the ones supported by an agent first. On most publisher's web sites, they will have guidelines if they accept submissions from unagented authors. If they don't, they'll say no unsolisited manuscripts or will say, all submissions come through agents, if they have any info at all.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 am
J. Wilder says...

I think you can actually approach both at the same time. Here's why: If you get an agent, you'll still need a publisher, and if you get a publisher, you'll still need an agent. Sending out one copy to a publisher and one copy to an agent isn't the same as sending out submissions to multiple publishers (which is bad, because if by some chance both of them want it, obviously that can't happen). However, your choice of publishers to submit to would be somewhat limited since most of the really big houses don't take manuscripts without agents.

You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.
— Joyce Meyer