z

Young Writers Society

Details

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:31 am
Crysi says...

I have a horrible time trying to describe places and people! I can imagine them in my head, but I fail everytime I try to translate the images into words. I've read some of the constructive criticism on this site, and I'm a bit nervous to post any part of my story because I know I'm too vague in my descriptions. Can anyone help me out?
Love and Light

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:23 pm
Nate says...

It can be pretty hard coming out with descriptions. I use to pretty terrible at them, so what I started doing is I would base my character on a picture of somebody. Same goes for environments. That way I have a much clearer idea of what to describe. And for colors, get a box of crayons. That way, when you want to say something is brown, you can like in your box, find a crayon that is brown but is not called brown. Something like almond.

Also, use action verbs as much as possible. Instead of saying "the shadows fell against the walls," say, "the shadows danced across the walls."

I use to run something called TYWC Tips. I went back to look at it, and here's two articles you might find interesting:
"Sense of Presence" http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~david/der ... m#presense

"Creating Unique Characters" http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~david/der ... htm#unique

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:40 pm
ZZAP says...

What I tend to do... Like if you have a tundra environment, research all about tundras. Know everything there needs to know about that region. Next, give me some basic examples of adjectives that would describe such a location. Cold? Bitter? Now, then go find a thessy and look up all the words that could possible replace your originals. Make a fat list with adjectives, nouns, adverbs, possible prepositional phrases. Then slowly check them off as you use them in your story. This helps get the skeleton of your paragraph, and filling in should be the esay part. Watch out for those Writer's Blocks, they can get nasty. I'm in one now, and I think it was a song I was listening to that got me. :roll: Fuuu!

Next, SHOW DON"T TELL!!! Sorry, but I just had to say that. lol I'm not an English teacher or anything, but you should listen when they have ideas for writing. I know tons and tons of teachers say that, it's a international statement, and a common ability of most authors. Get used to doing it. Take out all the "he was", "she is", "he is like"; they distort the balance of writing. Grow less familiar of using simple verbs like in the "Hat in the Cat". If you are to use them, then use adverbs together with them.

As for characters... Draw and life line of the character you wish to create. Don't get into details unless you know already the flow of your novel/story. To make a serious life line, you should however know the basic summary of your future story. Once that is done, keep molding the character to the story. Basically, you are modeling two life lines together so that they are simitrical. As for "big-hit-wonders" (main characters) they have to have an aspect of growth throughout the novel, because no one likes a character that never learns. Have these fat fellows weave in-&-out of your story, so that they make connections with the audience. Its okay to off-track these guys, because it makes them more humane and easier to empathize with. Also, have your character make mistakes, it's a messed up world we live in, and your novel should portray that a little bit. No one likes perfection. Fuuu!

-Z
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

51 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:28 pm
ZZAP says...

Oh, you should post your story... I'd like to edit it, or something like that. You really should post though, how do you get ideas? I mean, that's great if it's all you, but it is nice to have others look over your work. Another perspective, you know?

-Z

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:38 pm
Korin says...

ZZAP wrote:"Hat in the Cat".

Isn't it the Cat in the Hat?

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:53 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

I think he may have done it on purpose, didn't you?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:55 pm
Korin says...

Nothing in his post to suggest he meant to.

418 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:57 pm

You never know. Anyways, how about learning some new adjectives. That never hurt anybody.
Last edited by electricbluemonkey on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

594 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:48 pm
Crysi says...

ZZAP wrote:Oh, you should post your story... I'd like to edit it, or something like that. You really should post though, how do you get ideas? I mean, that's great if it's all you, but it is nice to have others look over your work. Another perspective, you know?

-Z

I will.. once I get more comfortable with my first chapter. I haven't had time to look over it much myself, and there are MANY things that need to be changed before I can feel comfortable with presenting it to everyone here!

Besides, I've seen your ruthlessness in editing, and I don't believe I'm ready for it just yet :wink:
Love and Light

418 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:21 am

Yeah, I think what you should do is just write without stopping and when you are done with the story look back and edit all of it.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:14 am
Drizzt says...

I agree with EBM. I write whatever comes into my head, and then go back and just take chunks that I don't like out. It saves the time of having to think of specifics.
People always complain about how life sucks, but they never kill themselves. Don't you wonder why? I do.

418 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:44 am

Glad you agree! That always works for me.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

594 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:50 am
Crysi says...

Actually, I've been trying to do that. Otherwise, I never get any real writing done! Alright.. well, I'll change the things I noted to myself before, then I'll post it, and let you rip it to shreds :wink:
Love and Light

51 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:00 am
ZZAP says...

It'll take me awhile... Like till 4 o'clock in the moring with all the others I have to edit. Editing allows me to find myself again, a way of getting out of my WB (Writer's Block). Fluuu!

-Z

594 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:13 am
Crysi says...

Wow. Well I'm glad you enjoy it! Hmm, maybe I should edit someone's story when I get Writer's Block.. Although I don't think I have TIME to get WB! :lol: I don't even have enough time to write anymore.. Grr. I can't wait until Winter Break..
Love and Light

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel