z

Young Writers Society

Serious Topics

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:52 pm
GingerLizzy says...

When we write serious topics, such as a report on the uprising of crime or maybe a war, we do just that - keep it serious. Some people complain when you add things like slang in the text and I understand when it is a formal report, but say you had to stand in front of the class and it was a presentation.

Slang and maybe even some light comedy would help to ease the listeners into the piece and therefore not be bored by it. There is no point in standing at the front of a class and droning on about something like Hitler, when you are going to be deadly serious and therefore lose all interest in those before you.

I'm not saying you should do the simple thing and tell a joke before hand, that would just be a cliche to comedy in serious writing and also wouldn't help capture the attention of your audience for long, so think of it this way;

Think of soft jokes, and when I mean soft jokes, I'm talking about gentle pokes at names and small witty comments about what could've happened, and then stretch them out throughout the piece, so therefore the text is still getting across and you're not losing anyone's interest.

Always works for me.
Last edited by GingerLizzy on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:55 pm
sarahcrosbeh says...

Good tips Lizzy :)

But, you've put "so think of it think way; "

Just thought i'd tell you lol :wink:

I shall take this advise into consideration if ever i write something serious.

x
So's your face

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 pm
Emerson says...

I'm not sure I agree?

If someone was going up to give me a report on Hitler, I think I would dislike the presentation if it had slang or jokes. Although, for me, I'd be interested in listening about Hitler. I think it is in the way you write, you don't have to add those things to make a "serious" report interesting--if you write it well, pick out the interesting things to mention, and are good at public presentations, it should be interesting no matter what. Of course, you also have to consider the fact that some people don't like to pay attention and are bored if they aren't watching someone fall off of a skate bored and injuring their naughty bits, so sometimes it isn't the presentation/presenter so much as your audience?

I like series things to be serious--just my two cents! (Ech, horrid clichés.)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian