z

Young Writers Society

Top Ten Grammar Mistakes You Shouldn't Make

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:31 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

This is a list of ten grammar mistakes you should never make as a consistent writer. It makes it easier to write your work because you already know how to write it correctly, and it saves your editor typing time. These 10 mistakes, hints, and corrections come from Steven Frank's "The Pen Commandments: A Guide For The Beginning Writer."

#1. "I" vs. "me"

Mistake: My parents give an allowance to my brother and I.

Hint: When in doubt, kick the other one out. If you kick out "my brother and," you're left with "My parents give an allowance to..." The answer is easy to hear: they given an allowance to me.

Correction: My parents give an allowance to my brother and me.

------------------

#2. "Her" vs. "she"

Mistake: Her and me studied for our grammar test together.

Hint: When in doubt, kick the other one out. Her studied? Me studied? Not very hard.

Correction: She and I studied four our grammar test together.

------------------

#3. "It's" vs. "its"

Mistake: The dog lost it's bone.

Hint: It's is a contraction of it is, not the possesive form of it. The possesive for of it is its.

Correction: It's a shame that the dog lost its bone.

#4. "You're" vs. "your"

Mistake: Your my best friend.

Hint: Your is the possesive form of you. You're is a contraction of you are.

Correction: You're my best friend, which is why I'm asking if I may borrow your car.

------------------

#5. "Everybody"

Mistake: Everybody does their own thing.

Hint: Everybody means "every single body," so it has it take a singular possesive pronoun (his or her). If you think it's sexist to write his, try writing around the situation: We all get to do our own thing.

Correction: Everybody gets to do his own thing, or her own thing, but not their own thing.

------------------

#6. “There” vs. “their” vs. "they're"

Mistake: The girls left they're purses over their. There so forgetful.

Hint: There is an adverb meaning not here, as in “over there.” Their is the possesive form of they, as in “their hair.” They're is the contraction of they are.

Correction: The girls left their purses over there. They're so forgetful.

------------------

#7. “Hopefully”

Mistake: Hopefully you’ll master these ten basic lessons.

Hint: Hopefully is an adverb meaning “full of hope.” Who is full of hope in the sentence, you or I? You don’t master the lessons hopefully; you master them diligently or doggedly or meticulously.

Correction: I hope you’ll master these ten basic lessons.

------------------

#8. “Badly” vs. “bad” & “good” vs. “well”

Mistake: Billy felt badly because he got an F on his grammar test.

Hint: Feel, in context of how you feel about something, is an emotion verb, not an action verb. (Grammar books call it a linking verb.) It takes an adjective, not an adverb. You feel happy today, or sad, or good or bad. But you don’t feel badly unless someone cuts off your hands. The only exception is your health. When you are healthy, you don’t feel good. You feel well. And whn you’re sick, you don’t feel bad, you feel unwell (or lousy or miserable). The good and bad feelings are the emotional ones; the well and unwell ones are physical.

Correction: [b]Billy felt bad because he got an F on his grammar test. He didn’t feel well because he got the flu.

------------------

#9. “Lay” vs. “lie”

Mistake: I’m tired. I’m going to lay down.

Hint: Lay is the past tense of the verb lie, as in “lie down.” In the present tense, you lie down, or out in the sun, or on the couch. Lay also happens to be the present tense of the verb lay, as in “lay the money on the table.” (The past tense of this verb is laid). After the chicken lay down for a nap, it got up and laid an egg.

Correction: I’m tired. I’m going to lie down.

------------------

#10. “Aggravate” vs. “irritate”

Mistake: These rules are so aggravating!

Hint: The verb aggravate means to “intensify or increase.” The verb irritate means “to annoy.” All these grammar rules might aggravate your headache, but if you don’t learn them, you will irritate your reader.

Correction: These rules are so irritating!

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:16 am
Lynlyn says...

Thanks, these are some nice guidelines. I don't agree with a couple of them though - namely #7 and #10. The dictionary lists both of those "incorrect" usages as acceptable ones. I probably wouldn't use them in a scholarly paper, but it's another one of those things where I think it's useless to try and resist change in language.

I see number four all the time though (my friend just did it on AIM!) and it drives me insane, heh.

Also... could of/should of/would of instead of could have/should have/would have. That's one that I see a lot.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:35 am
Teague says...

motherflippinflapjacks wrote:#1. "I" vs. "me"

Hint: When in doubt, kick the other one out. If you kick out "my brother and," you're left with "My parents give an allowance to..." The answer is easy to hear: they given an allowance to me.

Honey, you just made the mistake. The correct way is what you consider a mistake. ;)

#10. “Aggravate” vs. “irritate”

Mistake: These rules are so aggravating!

Hint: The verb aggravate means to “intensify or increase.” The verb irritate means “to annoy.” All these grammar rules might aggravate your headache, but if you don’t learn them, you will irritate your reader.

Correction: These rules are so irritating!

Actually, either works. ;)

Although you forgot the biggest one: "a lot" versus "alot."
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:02 am
Lynlyn says...

Razorblade_Saint wrote:Honey, you just made the mistake. The correct way is what you consider a mistake. ;)

But isn't it always in the, er, "accusative" if it's in a prepositional phrase, as it is in that sentence?
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:38 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

Alright this is a really useful list.

Thanks for that (:
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

Razorblade_Saint wrote:
motherflippinflapjacks wrote:#1. "I" vs. "me"

Honey, you just made the mistake. The correct way is what you consider a mistake. ;)

How is that a mistake there? Just explain it so I can understand it and anyone else who sees it can.

Also, if you guys want to edit this stuff, that's fine, but I didn't write these grammar rules. These were published in an actual book that I have used in several of my english classes. So, if you see something that needs to be fixed or you don't agree with, post it in a reply so other people can see what you have said about it. I just don't feel comfortable changing around what someone else wrote, then fixing what they wrote, and still citing them for it.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Crysi says...

I'm pretty sure #1 is correct. That's the way I was always taught, and it makes sense. You wouldn't say, "My parents give an allowance to I."
Love and Light

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

#1 is correct. The way I remember if it is either I or me is I take out everything in the middle and see if it still makes sense.

So, "My parents give an allowance to [...] me" NOT "My parents give an allowance to [...] I"

though

"[...] I get an allowance from my parents" is proper.

:D

Nice tips.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 pm
piepiemann22 says...

I consider this very helpful considering Spelling and Grammer are two of my weaker points. Thanks a bunch.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing