z

Young Writers Society

Alphasmart

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Kel says...

I wasn't really sure where to put this topic, so I thought maybe writing tips.

One of my biggest things that kept me from writing was the fact that I don't have anything to take with me. Just a notebook. But when I got home I'd have to type it all up. It was like writing the book twice.

So I purchased an Alphasmart. It's off of Ebay and it's not one of the brilliant new Danas, but it'll do well for me. Has a transfer cable and everything.

Has anyone else used an Alphasmart before? Any tips on using it? Any horror stories? I'm hoping this (cheap) purchase will help me in my writing endeavors and keep me from wallowing in write-it-twice pity.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Rydia says...

I've never used one, I actually like to write it twice. That way I can check for spelling mistakes and such in the first version as well as improve on my description and such. I always use the typing process as my second draft so that there's less work when it comes round to doing a third.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:04 pm
McMourning says...

I thought the Alphasmart was made by Dana.
Never tried it myself, but we have some kids in our school who are allowed to use them. They seem like a hassle to me, but they love them. So, if you like it, stick with it.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:11 pm
Lynlyn says...

I think Dana is an Alphasmart model.

I never knew the name for one of these until you mentioned it, but now I realize that I've seen one of the girls at school using one (I think she is partially blind and has trouble writing). I had never really thought about using it as a writing tool. I have a PDA and I've tried using the "graffiti" option to write things down, but it's really more trouble than it's worth. I think I would just be better off getting and attachable keyboard for it.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:40 pm
Leja says...

I didn't know what an Alphasmart was until this post (then I googled it and recognized it from a magazine, I think). It looks big and cumbersome to me. But hey, if it works for you, that's wonderful ^_^

Here's an articl that might be helpful (fun fact: did you know it can be dropped four feet without breaking?)

46 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 am
Kel says...

I've since gotten one off of Ebay, but I'm waiting for it to get here. It's taking a long time!

I'll be sure to let y'all know if I like it or not.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:34 am
Joeducktape says...

They look really cool, but *flinch* how much do they cost?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

*salivates* mmm. Dana....

I want one ^_^ Haven't used one! But I want one. It's like.. a mini laptop without instant messenger [Also known as: procrastination] for writers. And I could check my email!

I can't wait to hear about it, Kel!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:14 am
Black Ghost says...

Those look really cool! But alas, I don't have a few hundred dollars to spend. Oh well. :(

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:22 pm
Esmé says...

Lol, I really did not know that the thing existed...

46 Reviews

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:19 am
Kel says...

The Neo is 250$ and the Dana is 350$. I'd really like the Dana!

Maybe if I can get a credit card... hehehe

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:06 am
BrokenSword says...

I would love to have one of those. The only thing I think that might bug me is the tiny screen. I like to see as much of my work as I can.

46 Reviews

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:10 pm
Kel says...

Then a laptop might be best for you, BrokenSword. But for those trying to do NaNoWriMo, the Alphasmart only shows the last few lines of text, so it's ideal to keep yourself from editing.

I just got mine in the mail today. It was shipped Priority since the guy was late getting it out.

I love it! The cable works, the machine works, the keyboard will take a great deal of getting used to, but I think my Alphasmart and I will become the best of friends.

It also transfers very quickly! I'm so excited!!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:18 pm
Beethoven says...

I bought an AlphaSmart... I think five years ago, so it's pretty old. I did have one horror story, in that it would no longer recognize my password to allow access to my files. The whole thing had to be wiped, I lost about eighty pages of writing.

So I'd suggest not to password protect it.

But yeah, it's a great little thing for just writing and not editing or anything.

I also had problems with sticky keys... but that's just a nuisance.

All in all, a good little machine.
Your existence is overbearing.

46 Reviews

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:31 pm
Kel says...

There's not anything on here that others can't see, so I don't plan on putting a password on it.

I plan on taking it to and from work with me so I can write at work and not have to re-write it on the computer. It's perfect for that.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson