z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

Reviews: 2
Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:13 pm
View Likes
Chandler4184 says...

When trying to think of character names, don't EVER ask someone else for help. If they give you the name, then the character is more theirs than yours. I like to write about the character and name them as "boy" or "girl" before assigning them their title- then I can find a name that relates to their actions. Most people try to do the opposite by finding a name and basing a character off of it. Disaster. Don't do it.
If you live in the moment, every second is a new beginning.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:23 pm
tjwell01 says...

My favorite writing tip is owning up to who you are and what your voice is. Don't try to overcompensate and mimic Fitzgerald and Vonnegut. Sure, you can borrow their concepts, but working to your strengths will go a long way instead of picking up an instrument you don't how to play.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 am
fading-dream says...

^ But Fitzgerald is my favorite :O

Anyway, my favorite advice, and this is my own, is to not think of a novel as a novel. Think of it as a compilation of short stories that just happen to share the same characters and are all connected.

Also, try starting a short story in the middle. Seriously, it's more interesting to everyone and gives you a reason to want to know their back story.

Off to write! Fading
Current Project: Otherworld (Novel) - 11,000 words so far
Latest Story: Overflowing Emotions.
Past stories: Burning Apart, The Beast, Binding Darkness - Ch. 1, What David Taught Me, The Banquette, Mirror of Memories, Leaving Humanity, Little Green Men, Six Days

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 pm
thecamillecalalas says...

"The author can always wear a mask."
"There's a touch of madness in every great mind."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 am
MeganWeaver says...

My english teacher once told me that when I have writers block that "Drawing a picture or brainstorming ideas" is often a good cure. A little obvious maybe but it helped a little.
Keep your face to the sun,
That way you never see the shadows. :]

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:44 am
DrunkOnWriting says...

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury

Not really a solid writing tip, per say, but one of my favorite quotes:)

Reviews: 2
Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:47 pm
Tictac268 says...

People respect high quality writing. If you deliver your work in a strong and error-free package, people take you seriously. Your message comes through clearly.
Impossible is just an opinion.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 pm
reaganpark says...

People tell me this one all the time:

READ! ALL THE TIME! ... Well, not that much. But the more you read, the easier it is to figure out how you want to write. If you love fantasy stories, chances are that's what you'll want to write about. Reading can help your grammar, and comprehension, and it can give you an idea of what the best kind of writing is. Also, when you read books they give you inspiration and imagination. :D
WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 am
Blues says...

Definitely Show, Don't Tell!

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

So I'm not sure if this is something about selective hearing or inattention, but I don't remember much. I can never remember what "Show don't tell" means, either.
So the best one I can think of at the moment is:
Don't write for success. You may get success, you may not and if that isn't your goal, you'll handle the ups and downs better.
In other words, don't quit your day job.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm
View Likes
Tigersprite says...

Every sentence must do one of two things; reveal character or advance the action--Kurt Vonnegut.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:38 pm
mephet says...

"There is no such thing as good writing. There is only good rewriting." - Harry Shaw
"Books are not written - they're rewritten." - Michael Crichton
Blessed are the legend-makers with their rhyme / of things not found within recorded time. - J. R. R. Tolkien: Mythopoeia ┃ avatar

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm
Narnialover4ever1 says...

My favorite writing tip is probably this 'Don't write for other people, write for yourself'. That one has helped me bunches! also, my imagination opens up when I'm listening to classical music. Soundtracks from movies help a lot! I usually listen to the Narnia movie soundtracks. They are great! I also listen to the Pirates Of the Caribbean soundtracks. Those are good!
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again'

'Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar. I wonder if she's feeling well.
With a dreamy far off look.
And her nose stuck in a book' Something my best friend, Drew, said about me

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am
annystephans says...

write a novel. Most filmmakers will copy that novel if it is good writing.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:55 pm
quaintrelle says...

Write with joy.
And, write for yourself, not for the public. Write because you find pleasure in it, not because you want others to admire you.

That was actually just a random thought that stroke to my head a couple of days ago. But I figured my sub conscious mind might be giving me a tip so I decided to consider it as a tip Lol
khalepa ta kala.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin