z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:07 am
View Likes
EnchantressMuffin says...

My mom tells me that I should write things that I would want to read, and that chances are somebody else out there will want to read it, too.

Yup. Good advice, in my book. Maybe not the most critically inspiring, but still. Good advice.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Don't stress about it. ^.^

Many people stress and worry over finishing a piece of work, whether they be writing fiction or non-fiction, even getting to stressing about starting the work.

If you clear your mind, write when you feel the urge, and don't pressure yourself you should be able to just go with the flow. I find it also helps with the clarity and the quality of the work ^.^

*Hearts*
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:23 pm
View Likes
Monki says...

The best writing tip I have ever recieved would have to be : 'Base your characters on friends, and even family.' It's so humorous because you get to see the expression on their faces when they find out that that annoying/weird/crazy character was them!
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:13 am
View Likes
Pushca says...

"If you assume that the words that flow from your fingertips were dictated to you by God and are thus sacred and immune from revision, only you and God are ever going to get to read them." -Holly Lisle

It's probably not the *best* advice I've ever heard about writing, but it could be for someone out there.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:29 am
View Likes
Aet Lindling says...

NaNoWriMo probably gave me my best advice:

Just push it all out, and then edit it later. If you agonize over it as you go, you won't get anywhere.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:00 pm
View Likes
JFW1415 says...

I never recieved this tip, but it is what I live by and it works wonders.

Just write a whole chapter, no matter how terrible or short it is. Then edit it. (I can only use the highlighting thing in Word for this.) Lengthen it, add detail, and make it understandable. Then read it again. Come back a few days later, and edit it again.

Also, even if you are not 100% satisfied with a chapter, move on to the next one. You can always go back and fix the poor one; it's more important to write than edit (the first time through.)

99 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:36 am
View Likes
Monki says...

I have a new favorite writing tip. Unfortunately, this ones only for the girls. Sorry, boys!

Okay, so the tip for girls (with long hair--long enough to put in a ponytail) is this : When out running or exercising (or just any everyday activity), put your hair in a ponytail or bun and stick your pen in it. This way, you can write down any ideas that pop into your head, that could easily be forgotten, on your hand.
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:19 pm
View Likes
Kepe says...

My favorite English teacher told me to always show and not tell. I know that is an average run-by-the-mill sort of tip, but I find it works beautifully.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:48 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

Monki, I know boys with hair long enough to put in a ponytail. :wink: (My hair is only a few inches long. Definitely not ponytail material.)

---

My favorite was something someone posted on Gaia Online: LIFE. Literature, Imagination, Folklore and Experience - use them when you're looking for ideas to break out of writers' block and for when you're trying to flesh out your ideas.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

99 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 pm
View Likes
Monki says...

Meep > True. I sort of forgot all about guys with long hair. (God, I love guys with long hair!) Anyways, you can always just carry the pen in your purse or something with a mini notebook. ;)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm
View Likes
Clarence Boddicker says...

I'm not sure that anyone ever actually said this to me, because I live by this rule, but my favorite piece of advice for writing (and life in general) is definitely chill out.
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold...

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:29 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

I have two:

1) Don't worry: "The first draft is always s***"
(have read this written by many published authors and boy is it true...)

2) NEVER EVER throw out anything you have written.

I don't care if it is s***, one day you will be glad you have it, even if it is to make yourself laugh on a bad day - looking back and seeing how awful you were way back then..

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:21 pm
View Likes
Antinko says...

The best piece of advice my tutor gave me:

"Upon completing a draft of an article, file it away and don't look at it. After a few days come back to it and continue."

It's true. The creative process is an ongoing one which depends on allowing your mind to savour concepts and ideas. Taking a break allows you to return to a piece of writing with a refreshed mind and hopefully increased enthusiasm.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:49 pm
View Likes
Gahks says...

Conflict is drama. A story cannot exist without a problem, a conflict, a puzzle that must be resolved.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

1) It's already been said, but it's always good to set aside your work and come back to it later. Then it will be less familiar to you and you'll better be able to see it the way readers would. No clue who told me that.

2) Stories aren't about conflict--they're about the characters. It's not a story about a knight going to fight a dragon. It's the story about the knight who is going to fight a dragon.

3) Always ask yourself: Is this relevant to the story? <Good advice. It's amazing how much you put in there you don't need.

And I have no clue who told me any of this. I just know it to be true. ^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott