z

Young Writers Society

lil help??

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:28 am
Zeige says...

ok it goes like this i started a new project last week its a average fantasy story i have a great idea for it made a load of notes etc, but now i started writing it i have the problem where i have one main character and two supporting characters through the story but do i write it in 1st or 3rd person perspective?

i written several pages already in 1st person but it just doesn't feel right i want to be able to show the story a bit more from the other charaters angle also

anyone got any advice?
-The Alpha-

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:43 am
Snoink says...

Maybe this helps?

It's in a usergroup, which means you can't post in it unless you join the usergroup first, but the information there might be helpful to you nonetheless. ^_^;;
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:57 am
rosethorn says...

It very much depends on you and how much you're going to want to reveal.

In first person, you can really only see through one perspective.

Third person, you can hit all three perspectives and you are able to reveal a lot more.

So your choice pretty much depends on how much you want to reveal. Is it nessecary to get everyone's view point or are you okay with just the one?

As always,

Miss POKE

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:03 pm
Swires says...

3rd Person due mainly to the fact its more marketable in the fiction industry. I know Ill be shouted at for that with people yelling, "AS LONG AS ITS A GOOD STORY IT DOESNT MATTER".

Well a simple answer is - go into a shop with two boxes and put all the first person books on one box and all the 3rd person books in the other. Alas, the 3rd person box is not big enough.

Another argument would be that "THIS SHOWS PEOPLE WANT MORE VARIETY."

Simple answer: No they don't, 3rd person are more popular because they sell more, people dont want a boring emotional narrative when they can be consumed with multiple POV and get a better understanding of the plot at hand.

Regards and good luck.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:29 pm
Emerson says...

You could just switch POVs during the story. Ya know?

This is too simple of an answer for it to be coming from me....hah.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 pm
Myth says...

Why don't you try writing in the same thing in first and third person? I find it helps me when I can't decide.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:20 pm
Snoink says...

Hehehe... the reason why there's hardly any first person narratives is because it's harder to write.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:37 pm
Emerson says...

And yet everything I want to write lately is in first....

I must hate myself.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:14 pm
Zeige says...

thanks i think i'll try it in 3rd and see how it goes
-The Alpha-

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am
Myth says...

Snoink wrote:Hehehe... the reason why there's hardly any first person narratives is because it's harder to write.

Not for me, I love to use first person narration when writing historical fiction (maybe because they are usually my shortest pieces).
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:45 pm
Unrecompensed says...

Third person is your best bet. I'd say scrap what you've written and start again.
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:06 pm
Zeige says...

i've nearly finished the first chapter in 3rd and its going great alot easier to get the charectors feelings across. thanks again :P
-The Alpha-

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)