z

Young Writers Society

Praise vs. Encouragement

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:14 am
Chandni says...

You're a 100% right Snoink ;) Tell me what I'm good at and what not, now that's a critique.

People should to see the positivism in some things, even if someone commented "this must be thrown away" it still is encouragement, only this time for what not to do.

Every time I get comments my poems I pick out the good things , judge if they are truely good, pick out the "bad" stuff and judge again.
I must say sometimes I completely dissagree. The reasons are possibly :

1. People who critique judge on how they can relate to the poem
2. I basically see the whole sence in my poem but other's don't,
-last experienced with "The Cryptogram's Script"- I didn't bring my essence up front enough to make it visble to others

When you write a poem you visualize in your vision, and a critique is simply when you visualize through someone else's vision. Most important I find the structural vision; usage of words, description, rhyme, flow, sence in completing one whole rather than a bunch of useless sentences.

I think critiques about how people like the topic, or what it is about, or how they can relate are pretty meaningless. This does not improve you cause come one, not everyone can relate, or might like what the poem is about. As for myself I mostly enjoy poetry about anything rather than "I" but that's me, other's enjoy reading people's feelings etc.

To my concern this just adds a plus to the structural vision.

As for the last, other's people feelings do not quite attract me unless you bring it forward in a fascinating way -which not many do- But hey I started off writing about my own feelings-easiest way to start off-, and that's how I improved into how I write now studying critiques by others offcourse I've realized my structure and as you improve, there shall come a moment where I manage to put my feelings in that "facsinating" way

Afterall people, YWS is about learning, and acquiring the skills if you really wish to succees as a "good" writer one day.

And I think we should encourage, yes encourage not praise :P the people f.e. Brad and Backgroundbob, -I'm sure there are plenty more- who dedicate the time for making this possible for the members of YWS. Besides we are a Society

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 am
smaur says...

To add my $0.02 to this whole "why should I be positive?" thing: I don't understand why there is a "should" and "shouldn't". I think if people want to critique a certain way, then by all means, they can go ahead and do that. But I'm totally against forcing people to critique in a certain way. If you want to look at it positively, then go ahead; if you don't, then that's your call, too. People have different ways of looking at a piece of writing — so long as it's constructive, I don't see why it's a problem.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:02 am
Chandni says...

I'm not forcing anyone to critique in any kind of way, I'm just giving opinions one which critiques are best for the writer :)

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 am
backgroundbob says...

To add my $0.02 to this whole "why should I be positive?" thing: I don't understand why there is a "should" and "shouldn't". I think if people want to critique a certain way, then by all means, they can go ahead and do that. But I'm totally against forcing people to critique in a certain way. If you want to look at it positively, then go ahead; if you don't, then that's your call, too. People have different ways of looking at a piece of writing — so long as it's constructive, I don't see why it's a problem.
In exactly the same way people write poetry and we say "don't do this because it's rubbish", people give critiques and some of us would dearly love to say "please don't do that, it's rubbish".

That's not to say we always get it right, just like we don't always write perfect poetry, but we still have a general idea of what makes a good idea/critique, and it would be nice if other people got a sense of that. So we tell them.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11