z

Young Writers Society

How Do You Critique?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:10 pm
Nate says...

When you are writing a critique/review here at YWS, how do you go about doing it? Do you look for something specific? Is there a general structure you use for writing your critique?

For example, whenever I critique something else by someone here, or at writing.com, or back in the old days at TYWC, I always start off with something that the writer did well. Then I go into what needs to be improved, and how to go about improving. Finally I finish either with what else the person did well, or (if there is nothing) simple encouragement. Although, depending on the person's age, I would also tailor the critique.

So what do you do?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Myth says...

Comments/Corrections

I use green for comments and corrections--spelling mistakes,questions and things I liked/disliked.

Suggestion

Sometimes I come across sentences that are hard to swallow or can be improved by simplifying or rephrasing the sentence.

Review

This is my opinion on the whole piece including which parts I liked/disliked or things that confused me. I also sometimes add which character I liked and why.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Sureal says...

I'll open word and and read through the piece. Everytime I reach a sentance I wish to comment on, I'll copy/paste it into word, add italics tags and comment in bullet points.

Once I've done that, I'll add on any other comments on to the end (including the things I liked about it).

I mainly focus on the technical stuff (spelling, grammar, punctuation, flow, description, voice etc), and reserve the other stuff for the paragraph or two I do at the end.

I don't tailor my crit to the person's age, but I do try to do so towards their writing experience (I find age and experience aren't always the same).

Oh, and when I remember, I'll end it with a 'keep on writing 8)' (although I sometimes forget that bit...).
I wrote the above just for you.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

My critiques are normally done straight through the peice. Every time I come across something that catches my attention, such as grammer, I make a not of it in the critique. I like to quote a lot so the writers knows exactly where I'm talking about, and have a better idea of why I didn't like it. Or did like it, for that matter.

While I often pick out grammer, I do what I can to spot things in plot, characters, and structure. Things like blocks of pure dialogue with nothing physcally happening, not so much as a blink; things explained by a character that the character likely wouldn't know; characters acting out of character; and other such things. I try to find a reason for every event and also try to follow the general flow of the peice.

And I rarely ever notice the age of the auther. Age, experiance, and maturity are all seperate things. I tell it like it is, try to give encouragement, and honestly try to help.

Well that's my take, as I know some of you have seen.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm
Poor Imp says...

I usually take the thing as a whole and comment, and from there go the finer points. There's always--or nearly always--something that sticks out as intriguing or very well done, and that's always a good place to start. All else can be set against that to show where it better fits.

If it's to be reduced to formula. ^_^ It's inclined to be different with different writers and stories.

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I find that I tend to be much pickier with stories that are very well-written. There have been stories that I have really enjoyed critiquing, 'cause I've had to think more about what is good or bad with the content rather than more general things.

I used to focus a lot on grammar, spelling, punctuation and the rest of it, but now if I see something that's wrong and comes up a lot, then I only mention it once.

Another thing... I try and find something positive about every piece of work. Like Imp said, almost everything has something that's been well done so it's a good thing if the writer knows what doesn't need changing as well as what they need to work on.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:17 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

First, I read the story.

Then, depending on how bad the story is, I ritually sacrifice a certain number of cute baby kittens. A ten kitten story is rare, but I've heard of 20 kitten stories.

After the ritual slaughter, I dance around naked with the slaughtered beast, smearing its blood-soaked carcass over the computer screen.

Then, after this ritual is complete, I put the kitten in my mouth and begin chewing on it. By the time I finish a critique, I have finished eating.

How do you critique?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 pm
Sureal says...

I've totally gotta try Griff's technique.
I wrote the above just for you.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:38 pm
rosethorn says...

I find "the Hamburger" method effective. Start with the good, of course. Then in with what needs improvement. Always start and end with the good though.

I don't always follow this method, but I try to. You should always be able to say something positive about a piece. Remember, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

As always,

Miss POKE

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Well, depends on how giving I am being or if I have a scanner handy.

1. My favorite way to critique is to print out the piece, then read it once through. After a once through I take out an editing pen of particulary bright color and start to critique. I go through the piece marking it up with suggestions, critiques, and such. Then at the end I make points of what they did well, what I liked, what I think could be improved, what is missing, yadda yadda yadda.Then I scan it in, and post it.

2. Most of the time, the above is harder to do, and impossible without a scanner, so another way I do it, is to copy and past it into a word document, and everything that is me is in a different color, bolded and in brackets. Bascially I do the same as the above just on the computer.

3. If I am particularly lazy or pressed for time, I will usually just type out a few sentences on what I liked, what I didn't, etc.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 pm
Sam says...

1. I put in some sort of greeting, which usually amounts to 'hey'.

2. General good stuff about the story is described.

3. I get very long and rambly about characters and other nuances- I don't do grammar or spelling (usually) because that stuff can be fixed by a machine. There isn't a 'Bad Character Check' on Word, unfortunately.

4. Some more general good stuff about the story...

5. And a close!

While I'm reading through I usually jot down a few notes to help with step three- the good stuff tends to stick with me longer.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Unrecompensed says...

I focus on the prose for those writers that haven't got the basics down (or enough for the prose to go unnoticed). For others, its the ideas behind the story. That's what sells, not the prose.
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 am
cm57105 says...

For me,
I guess, I would start with summarizing what they did well, then going into perhaps some easygoing improvements to their story, finally finishing up with another praise.
If you don't have a trophy case that spins into a secret room with a press of a button, then your an idiot.

Need a review? You've come to the right person.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&p=1143828#p1143828

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm
Tenyo says...

1) Read it.

2) Make mental note of apparent issues with text. If there are one or two errors proceed to step five, if more, go to step three.

3) This is where I choose which issues to address. Usually I try to balance some practical knowledge (like a grammar rule that has been missed,) a quick fix (do a run through for repitition,) some context sensitive advice (develop this character, fill this plot hole) and something to work on progressively (practicing a variety of sentence structures.)

The above fluctuates depending on the length of the piece and how much work needs to be done. I'm also a bit bias to the author. Authors I know or I've reviewed before I'll pound much more on harder issues, and likewise with new or younger writers I'll give them a few more quick fixes.

4) I take the issues I've chosen to address and explain the fault and solution as best I can. If I don't know how to fix it then I'll look it up.

5) Unless I've overloaded the above, here I'll point out a nitpick or two, like a typing error or a incorrect word, and maybe if any particular sentence is odd or open to misinterpretation then I'll comment on that too.

6) The happy section. Once I've completely shredded their work then I'll give them lots of praise on the things I liked and that they're doing well, and something to encourage the author to become stronger, work harder and get better.
We were born to be amazing.

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni