z

Young Writers Society

How do I write more?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:29 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

I feel like I can’t write a lot of words at a time. Like, it takes me an entire day to write 500 words.

I don’t think the problem is lack of ideas. I know exactly how I want the story to play out, but I just cannot convert my thoughts into words. The story that I’m writing just feels off somehow, I don’t even know how to describe it. Like, it feels like corporate art style but in word form

I get distracted very easily and its hard to sit down and do stuff for long periods of time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on this?
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:28 am
View Likes
alpacaboss says...

Something that I like to do as someone whose schedule varies from day to day is simply write whenever I think of my story (which is often).

For example, you are currently on lunch break and you remembered your story. So you can type some words on a google docs or something then get back to it later.

So basically, it is better to do short yet productive increments of writing than long unproductive sessions of non-writing. Even just 3-5 sessions of 5 minutes can make a lot of difference in writing.

I can go on and on, but breaking the story into smaller tasks really helps. You can take it one scene or one stanza at a time. I actually have some poems that I have not finished that spanned for a few weeks already. But the thought of those poems and stories are already ingrained in me so my brain reminds itself to get back to those stories, and by then the ideas would have formed.

So it is alright, I guess it is normal for most writers to experience this.

I’m not sure if this lengthy chunk of advice helps, but I hope it did! (Sorry if it is a bit all over the place too hahaha)
John 3:16; Joshua 1:9; 1 Timothy 4:12
Professional Bible nerd, Christian and classical music enthusiast, and alpaca lover
To God be All the Glory

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane