z

Young Writers Society

How to Not Rush

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:54 pm
Dream Deep says...

Just so.

Rushing. It's like plague. You start off with a fine story, a healthy story and then suddenly you look at it and it's already over and dead because you rushed through it so fast. Not only that... but it's shallow. At which point you begin to wonder 'What just happened, I had a story! I had a really good story, I had really good characters, and oh, the plot! What happened to it?'

And you think I'm going to offer you advice on how to fix this. ^_~

Hah - I've got no clue, which is why I'm coming to you. I reread Part I of the Chair last night, beginning to end (that being Chapters 1-5). It is so rushed. I seriously don't know how you guys got through it and came out the other end liking it. It feels very shallow. The writing's not involving. It's like reading an instruction manual. Oh, I like the characters a lot. I like the world and I like the over-all plot line but I hate the actual writing. Because it feels so very (one more time -) shallow and rushed.

And hope? None? Some? Maybe?
Last edited by Dream Deep on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm
Myth says...

I couldn't possibly give advice for this. I rush all the time and look back at what I've written the next day, that's when I edit all the bits that stick out or make no sense.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:08 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha... FREAK is also very rushed. Especially towards the end...

The freak looked at the bunny rabbits. DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!

Sadness...

First of all, remember to enjoy your characters. That might help. :)

Second of all, keep it flowing and stuff. :)
Last edited by Snoink on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Cassandra says...

I think that when I end up rushing, I'm usually anxious to get finished. Don't be! Unless you have a deadline (yuck!), you have all the time in the world!

That's my two cents, anyway. ;)
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:50 pm
Duskglimmer says...

When I realize that I've done that, I go back and pad it with anything and everything that might possibly fit into those chapters. Long descriptions. Long bits of dialogue, etc. etc.

Then, after a day or two, I go back and take out what doesn't belong. It is much easier to cut away than it is to put in.

But whatever you do, have fun with it! Liek the others said, enjoy what you're writing and it will show.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am
Wiggy says...

Awesome advice! :D

And Dreamy-the Chair is NOT rushed!!!!! At least I think so...
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:18 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... trust your readers!

And besides, you think it's rushed because you know the WHOLE story. So you're aware of all the side plots, character movement, and everything. So when you look at your story, it seems "shallow" and "fast" not because it's rushed, but because you have such a great idea what's going on in your head, but you don't think that you're telling enough. Does this mean that you should put infodumps in it? NO. It just means that you have a different perception of your story than everyone else.

That's why critiquers are so helpful. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy