z

Young Writers Society

How many drafts do you do?

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:18 am
J. Wilder says...

I edit A LOT as I go. I reread my own writing constantly. I never write short stories or poetry, only novels, and I don't write that often anymore, so I haven't finished even a first draft in years. Therefore I don't really know how many drafts I would go through. In the past I've usually realized how crappy whatever I wrote was so I don't bother to redo it because it's probably beyond repair. For the last thing I wrote I started a second draft, but then I must have deleted it or something. (I go on deleting sprees. If I had every piece of writing I'd ever started there would probably be hundreds of documents, but as it is there are, I think, four.)

Within the past year or so I started a second draft for what is currently my main project, despite the fact that I hadn't actually finished the first one (it was long enough; it's an upper middle grade novel and it was 186 pages, but probably only about two thirds done). I just realized there were a bunch of additions and such that I wanted to make and I might as well start the second draft now.

I remember in school sometimes they'd make us do second drafts for essays and such, and there was never anything I wanted to change. Eventually I started purposely inserting grammatical or spelling errors in the first drafts in order to have something to change.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 pm
JFW1415 says...

Too many. :P

~JFW1415

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm
flytodreams says...

I've never finished one complete draft, I keep rewriting *cough*DELETING**cough* chapters. :lol:
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm
Aedomir says...

Well, I am on my first 'whole' draft, but I have rewritten chpter one five times and I am still not happy. I decided to just move on and rewrite it in the second draft. I may do two or three, most likely two.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang