z

Young Writers Society

Truth to fiction

Who likes there to be true bits of helpful info in books.

I do
40%
No Way
10%
Don't care
50%

Total votes : 10

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:26 am
shadowphoenix2580 says...

I just want to find out what some people like with respects to remedies and other helpful hints in fiction books.

For example,

In Terry Goodkinds books his main character is a woodsman and through the story he give hints that a camper could use while camping. I was wondering if this would add any extra interest in my novel.
Last edited by shadowphoenix2580 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP2580

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:32 am
Snoink says...

I don't understand this question... perhaps you can expand it or phrase it in a more clearer fashion?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:25 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

Fight Club tells you how to make napalm, which fits perfectly. I guess if the info is relevant to the story and isn't like an infomercial that interrupts your viewing (reading) for half an hour. Its all about timing. Time it correctly and you can tell the reader whatever you want.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:57 pm
Wiggy says...

What Inertia said. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:45 pm
Myth says...

I agree with Inertia. Sometimes I do it without realising and then go back to change it as usually it comes out as info dump.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm
Snoink says...

But most times it's an info dum... *kills*

But I did like, My Side of the Mountain. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus