z

Young Writers Society

Titles...

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:51 pm
Emerson says...

So, I'm sitting in my room thinking, "I need to work on plotting my Novel for NaNo." But then I think, "Well I know my plot, so what else do I need?" A title.

I have no idea what to title it. Since I've never written anything long, I'm not sure how to pick one out. Through themes? I have no clue! I usually pull things straight from the text, or make my title cover the whole idea of a story (like I named a story "Death in the sewer" once. You knew exactly what it was about)

But its a whole f'ing novel! What am I to do? and I'm sure some will say 'wait until your done' but I want a title now...

So then, any help?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:52 pm
aeroman says...

Mmm...titles. Thats a tough one, everyone thinks up of them differently. I am really weird and tend to get mine mainly from dreams I have. If I knew what your novel was about then I could probably help you more, but since I don't...I'll try my best to help you anyways!

Maybe, I'm not sure if this will work, but most of my titles refer to a really big twist in the plot, but when the reader looks at it he would never know what it meant. So all of the meanings of my titles are hidden from the reader. Like for instance...The Veil Not Seen...(the one I'm currently working on), that name only has meaning to me right now. Yet eventually it will make sense to the reader.

Try to think of something that when the reader looks at it, it will intrigue them and make them want to read it. And then make it mysterious so they won't truly know the meaning behind it until they read the book.

Hopefully that made sense! Good luck to you! :D

~Aero
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

2058 Reviews

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:00 pm
Emerson says...

That made a whole lot of sense, and its a really good idea!

I guess I'll give my plot in the most unconfusing way possible.

My MC gets kidnapped by a cult of vampires, who strongly believe in NOT drinking human blood, and not being violent, and that as vampires they're an evolution of the human race that should not cause the human race harm (or something like that.) So he gets into this cult and turned into a vampire against his will. that is all he knows for the longest time, he's never drank human blood (directly. when he gets turned into a vampire, he drinks the blood from a cup) and he's real isolated from what is considered the 'real' vampire world.

Well, he meets this girl outside of he cult who helps him escape to the outside world with her and all, she used to be apart of the cult too.

So the rest of the novels follows him on the outside world while he's being hunted by the cult, because the cult find out that he's escaped and they make it their mission to punish him for the evils he's done. I know this probably didn't make much sense but... I tried.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:07 pm
Wiggy says...

Blood on the Run

Just a random name I thought of! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 am
Fand says...

Just PM'd you my suggestion. ;)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:46 pm
Firestarter says...

I'd realised pulling lines from poems always works quite well. You get the whole cool language thing, and it always flows quite well.

Like you said, you pull things out of a text -- so why not do it to someone else?*

(* it's better if they're dead, then you can't get sued if you get published.)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:50 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

I sometimes pick lines from the piece I'm working on and go from there. After a while I stick to it or change the name.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 85
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:14 pm
pandoraswritings says...

I always pick the name AFTER the ENTIRE story is finished. It makes it easier to decide on a title. And like everyone else said, it is a good idea to pick from the text.
Pandora

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:50 pm
Kel says...

I just pick one randomly. Like Menagerie. But it doesn't fit.

I tend to pick weird ones, kinda like how one would title a comic. Fruits Basket? BLEACH? Where do they get them?
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:26 pm
Prosithion says...

well, what's the plot. That usually determined a good title. If you post the plot, I'll come up with some titles for you.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 pm
Pivot_Master says...

Call it pride and predudice That usally works.....lol

2058 Reviews

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:53 am
Emerson says...

prosithion: the plot is above, I believe... the third post.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am
Snoink says...

Er... I usually just take a phrase or something from the first chapter. So "FREAK" was named after "On one side in worn letters was “FREAK” and..."

So yeah.

Maybe that will help?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:38 am
Emerson says...

Fand gave me the title 'thicker than water' and from there I got 'the blood is thicker' but I had somehow managed to not notice Jack's post at all! I like that idea Jack.

Snoink: nice sig :-D

and yeah, all this is helping. I'm bad with stuff like this...

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:23 am
Pivot_Master says...

How about hmm....

The Bfg
no plagurizism

Midnight capture
vampiric chase

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana