z

Young Writers Society

Any Exceptional Books About Writing?

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

The only helpful advice about writing you will ever receive is from your own experience and countless failures or directly from an editor/author. Perhaps an agent will take the time to send back an edited query letter/story selection. I bet not.

The business views "How to" writing books as basically the "Self-help" and "Feel good" books for hopeful writers (that's just above smut). If someone wrote a book on how to write creatively and are looking to make money, the book is not worth it (and probably means they can't publish anything else, though even ones by people like Stephen King are questionable). One, on their part it's pointless since you don't have to buy it. Two, you aren't them and don't have their experiences or point of view. You haven't dealt with editors and agents if you're reading the book. It's a very, very stressful process if you even get a deal, and once you do, the ball is in your court to produce material that will sell. They don't care if you have beautiful writing, the business has an expectation of how well you should write and then if you can make money.

Seldom do these books cover this.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:08 pm
tuckerluvr says...

The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy is a work of fiction, but it drops writing tips along the way, and has helped me ^^
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 am
Idraax says...

Hooked by Les Edgerton It's hilarious and it gives you techniques for writing a good hook for whatever.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:04 pm
tinkembell says...

Writers and artists yearbook - any year, preferably the current one :D
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 am
Salem says...

I find the magazine Writer's Digest both helpful and interesting. It includes articles on the elements of writing, as well as lots of great information on the business and interviews with successful authors. I save all my issues!

And I have to say I disagree with MeanMrMustard on the usefulness of material on writing. First-hand experience is great, but I also think you can learn a lot for the people who have gone before you. I've found many useful ideas, tips and tricks from literature on writing.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:50 pm
View Likes
tigershark17 says...

The Writer's Idea Workshop -- Jack Heffron
The Seven Basic Plots -- Christopher Booker
Formatting and Submitting Your Manuscript -- Chuck Sambuchino
Seize the Story -- Victoria Hanley
The Art of Styling Sentences -- Ann Longknife
The Young Writer's Guide to Getting Published -- Kathy Henderson
Creating Writers -- Vicki Spandel (although this book is written mostly for teachers, it is also great for writers)
The First Five Pages -- Noah Lukeman
Conflict, Action, and Suspense -- William Noble
The Everything Grammar and Style Book
Live Writing -- Ralph J. Fletcher
Description -- Monica Wood
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 pm
View Likes
Gahks says...

"The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" by Christopher Vogler. Originally intended as a screenwriting manual, but it'll be of use to writers of any genre, I'm sure.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm
Starrywolf says...

Spilling Ink by... Wow, I forgot who wrote it... xD

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:24 am
Fizz says...

I know this is a thread about books that are actually about writing, but the one book I've read that taught me the most about writing is How we are Hungry by Dave Eggers. He is truly an amazing writer, with such brilliant use of words, and from reading it I learnt so much about how to write, like that everything doesn't have to make sense, and length is never an issue.

I seriously recommend it to everyone ever.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

I was going to mention Orson Scott Card's bok, but it's on here already. I don't consider him the be all end all of writers, but his book is really helpful for people working with speculative fiction.

Also, J.R.R. Tokien's On Fairy Stories is a really interesting book on the genre. It's not about writing exactly, but it provides a really interesting viewpoint on fantasy that I found really useful. Also, facinating. THe version I read was in Tree and Leaf (the whole collection is pretty interesting) butit's possibly posted online somewhere.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

She's funny, and although hard for me to relate to as a person, she offers good advice.
She has a way of telling the truth in such a way that you really hear her out and get emotionally touched by what she says.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 am
View Likes
Paracosm says...

Character's & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card. Wonderful book!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 pm
octopi says...

Spilling Ink by anne mazer and ellen potter, mostly if you have just began writing but it offers some good advice too

also, I love the writers digest magazines.

:smt026
that awkward moment when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopi.

formerly camboftw

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 am
ColleenTremain says...

Books I went to for help:
* Vampire Academy ( Read it three times!)
* The night world ( A vary good sires)
* Evermore

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Writing with Power - Peter Elbow. Pretty much my Bible

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild