z

Young Writers Society

How do I edit?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:34 am
Snoink says...

So! I was ranting about editing. More particularly, I was ranting about editing FREAK and how my editing was so fun and stuff (hahaha... that never happens). And then Misty was like, "How do you edit?"

In which I suddenly stopped and gave a lame response, something about "Um... I move stuff."

But! I have given thought about it, and accordingly, I shall provide her (and the rest of you) with how I think I edit!

First, I do the reread. So basically I reread my story. Fun? Oh, definitely. But there's a particular way I do this. You see, many of you, when you reread your story, say, "Okay, what's wrong with this?" and then, after seeing everything that is wrong with your story, get overwhelmed.

And why not? By focusing completely on the bad stuff, your brain automatically shuts down. The bad stuff looms over the good stuff and suddenly, when you thought you might be a somewhat decent writer, you get discouraged and decide to throw away the story/poem/whatever.

That's not good...

Instead, I read it for the good stuff. What do I like? So instead of rereading it with dread in my heart, I reread it and actually find that I like most of it. There's just a couple of parts that are usually off.

So then I ask myself, "What was so good about the good parts?" Sometimes I like the dialogue, other times I like the pacing, and so on. It really varies from what chapter it is (remember, I am primarily a novelist). So I learn to love my story. And what's not to love? I've just complimented my story, and I feel very good about myself. This gives me inspiration and hope and motivation to answer the next question...

What sucks?

But no... that's only the first part. The next question, which is more interesting to us writers, is why does it suck? Because I can flail and die since there's this one scene that isn't working right, but if I don't know why it sucks, then I can't fix it. Because in the editing, editing isn't about realizing that something sucks. It's realizing how to fix it.

What usually is the case is one of my characters is unhappy. Why? Because I'm treaing that character like a puppet. So I play games with that character in my head and try to figure out what I can do to tweak the scene. Usually this means I have to do some rewriting... an insane amount, actually....

Other times, it's the way I have put things. Reading it out loud helps tremendously for this. :)

And sometimes the plot is slowed down by something that happens. Deleting stuff usually helps this.

Eep... so yeah. The main thing is the positive attitude towards reading. After that, the rest is just play.

I hope this helps!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:45 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

And sometimes you point out to other people what you think sucks and have their take on it. :D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:47 am
Snoink says...

Well, this is for editing my own stories, lol. But yeah, that too. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:57 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

*sticks out tongue*
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:33 am
Wiggy says...

Nice tips! I've never really though about how I edited...I'm totally my own worst critic! :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester