z

Young Writers Society

Using the Debate Forums as Inspiration

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:39 am
Snoink says...

I don't know... perhaps I'm strange. I don't understand why people who aer in the debate forums don't write more.

Shall I explain?

In debates, you frequently come across people who have... er... strange mindsets. That is, every once in a while, a member will start ranting about a particular subject, be that politics, morality, society, or something else that is vaguely related to something important. And then, to demonstrate his or her opinion, that person will provide strange and very falicious arguments to support his or her stance.

Now, a lot of people get offended that there are other people with differing opinions, so the debate forum becomes this ranting place where people bicker constantly. But... why?

Everybody is different, and the debate forum is the prime example of this. There are people who believe in certain things very deeply. So, instead of writing a post about how stupid that person is, ask yourself, why does this person think this? Put yourself in that person's shoes and try, honestly, to see why that person believes in what he or she does. And, instead of dismissing it outrightly, do your best to know that mindset.

Then, once you are firmly into that mindset, start asking yourself conflicts that could possibly happen. For example, say that there is someone who believes strongly that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam should unite together in peace since they originally came from the same religion and have very close beliefs. Okay. So what possible conflicts could arise from this? Perhaps they do get together, but the compromises involved in each religion are so many that it ends up diluting the entire religion as a whole and destroys the faith in God completely? I don't know... but play with the ideas. So homosexuality is wrong/right? What could happen if people refused/accepted homosexuality? What conflicts would arise?

This is where wonderful ideas are created. These what-if situations show real conflict and can be huge inspiration for any writer who is indeed serious about using compelling ideas for a story.

That is why I wonder why many of the debaters are NOT story writers... ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:50 pm
Wiggy says...

I'm a story writer!!!! *raises hand*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:38 pm
Galatea says...

Hey now, I write stories! My problem is that I long-hand everything, and copying to the computer takes more effort than I have time to exhert right now.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:44 pm
sabradan says...

I write stories, I just don't really have the time at the moment. Actually my life is pretty much school, work, speech team. Rinse and repeat. It gets dull and boring. I want to go to a real college, like, NOW.

Anyways, debating and heckling people (that includes insulting and disproving people while calling them stupid) while it may not be the best, most productive way, is defeinately way more fun.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:55 am
Snoink says...

Hehe!

Well, instead of ranting, try writing something quick about an what you would have ranted about. Let's see what it looks like. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou