z

Young Writers Society

Romance scenes.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:27 am
-KayJuran- says...

I don't normally write these at all, so you could say I'm pretty inexperienced in this area... which is why I really need help here. :?

I have two main questions:

First of all, how can you use romance subtly throughout the book. Small hints that two characters might like each other, without being over the top. What about different kinds of love - would they be portrayed differently?

Secondly, would it be realistic for someone in their early teens to fall in love with someone in their late twenties or early thirties and vice versa? Would it be acceptable for something like that to happen (specifically in the late 1700s)? I don't mean anything heavy... probably nothing sexual, but love nonetheless.

Thanks in advance,

--Kay
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:10 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Subtlty is probobly one of the hardest, yet most rewarded, aspects of writing. I'm no expert, but since I'm trying to do something like that in one of my stories, I'll share what I've been trying.

One thing to consider is that if there are more than just the two "lovers" present, try to make it so the two just happen to be close to each other in the group. If something happens to one of them, make the other quite relieved when everything ends up all right, though they would have been relieved had it been someone else as well. Things like seemingly meaningless glances could help to. Saying something like "are you all right" to the other but not usually to anybody esle. Have the characters thoughts turn to the "lover", but not in a romantic way. This would imply how unconciously, they keep thinking about them; just don't overdo it. They may speak softer or more gently to each other, but only just enough to be recognized in hindsight. Feeling at peace in the others company. I'm making these up as I go and I'm running dry. As to different kinds of love, at the moment I'm not entirly sure what you mean. If you feel like explaining I'll get back to that.

As to your second question, I'm not sure I can help you there. I have no idea. I think that it may have been looked down upon in the 1700's, but don't quote me on that.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Love is a really hard emotion to put down on paper without it sounding horrible. And yet, it can add so much. Hope I helped and good luck with your story.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:22 pm
Poor Imp says...

-KayJuran- wrote:I don't normally write these at all, so you could say I'm pretty inexperienced in this area... which is why I really need help here. :?

I have two main questions:

First of all, how can you use romance subtly throughout the book. Small hints that two characters might like each other, without being over the top. What about different kinds of love - would they be portrayed differently?

Secondly, would it be realistic for someone in their early teens to fall in love with someone in their late twenties or early thirties and vice versa? Would it be acceptable for something like that to happen (specifically in the late 1700s)? I don't mean anything heavy... probably nothing sexual, but love nonetheless.

Thanks in advance,

--Kay

Subtle is more true, doubtless...people's emotions or feeling tend to hover in the subconscious. ^_^ I suppose different sorts of love would end up portrayed differently; but it wouldn't necassarily be clear in the character's experience which was which.

Second: of course. Why not? It was more common, I think, before the 20th century. Often a man would not marry until he was certain he had a trade/living/income...and women married younger. ...that doesn't say much for whether there would be the inclination. ^_^'' But you've observed girls, haven't you, fancying men they admire - older?...
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:47 pm
Snoink says...

Hehe!

Okay, I'm writing a story of FREAK (not that you didn't know that, lol) and two of the characters are in lurve. Their ages? 21 and 36, Sooo... yay! That might not be the exact ages, but... um... stay with me.

-KayJuran- wrote:First of all, how can you use romance subtly throughout the book. Small hints that two characters might like each other, without being over the top. What about different kinds of love - would they be portrayed differently?

One of the coolest things you can do is make them consider each other equals. Especially the older one of this romance! So usually what happens is that the older one is the more experienced, more successful guy/girl and, indirectly or not, they intimidate the younger one into being the subordinate of the relationship.

So... what if they lower themselves down and bring their partners up o be at their level? Yep. Mind you, the older dudes have to be the ones who do this, and they have to do both. Why? Because the younger one is going to feel awkward to be only raised to the level, and modesty is the way to make the younger ones more comfortable.

...is this making sense?

Also, easy talk -- unless something happens. So these two are always going to get along, unless the Big Awkward Situation comes up where their love is tested. Like, what if the younger one is betrophed to someone else? I don't know... but play with it.

More creativity! Love stimulates and makes people more creative, and not just in a sexual way. The Greeks understood this, and there is stipulation that older Greeks might have taken in younger guys to love, which created an environment that produced some fantastic thoughts. Obviously, your characters aren't going to become geniuses, but they will be stimulated and feel better, though they may not be able to explain why. Love is a funny thing.

Hehehe... when I was younger, I was falling in love with people in their forties... which sounds rather pervish and disgusting to me now, but hey! Love is weird like that. Still, it does happen even today. All you have to do is look at the teacher scandals going on.

As far as the late 1700s? I don't know, but if it's a straight relationship with nothing sexual going on, I think they may see it as "romantic and daring" and thus acceptable. But don't take my word on that!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 pm
Dream Deep says...

Poor Imp wrote:But you've observed girls, haven't you, fancying men they admire - older?...

Ah... I sense an insinuation. ^_~

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)