z

Young Writers Society

Need some help as I am new to writing.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:33 am
DrFeelGood says...

I have recently started writing. I have published my short story here but hardly anyone has seen it. I need some help to improve my writing.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:42 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

Okay, from what I've seen, you just barely joined yesterday and just barely posted a work. Unfortunately, some works will stay in the Green Room for a couple days until a brave reviewer has the time to get to it! Have some patience, young one. You'll get reviews, don't worry. ;)

Can you give some specific examples as to what you would need help with in regards to your writing?
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

134 Reviews

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 am
DrFeelGood says...

I have attempted a humorous short story. I want someone to tell me whether they really find it funny or not. That way I can understand which genre I should concentrate for writing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Hi there!

Firstly, as Iggy said, you're very new and only recently posted a work. It might take a few days to get a review. Some works are lucky and get a review pretty much as soon as they're posted, others don't. Patience. :wink:

However, if you really can't wait, there are a few options. There's a section in the forums for review requests you might want to check out, if you haven't already. Click on that (you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it) and then you'll see threads started by people that are looking to review things. Post a link to your work and the person that started the thread should be quite willing to review it for you. :D

Another option is my club, The Writer's Club. If you want to request a review, you can do so there. Simply follow this link (clubs/1819) and go onto the forum section, above. There, you should see a topic called "Review Request." Give a link to your work and someone may be able to help.

Additionally, if you think you really need help with your writing, you'll also see a thread topic in the forum section of my club titled "Mentors & Editors" or something to that effect. If you want a writing mentor (or editor), you can ask for one there. :)

If you do wish to request a review or mentor from my club instead of the forums, subscribing to it would be nice (you'll find the subscribe button on the right-hand side, below the name and avatar, I believe).

Hope this helps!

-Lucrezia

134 Reviews

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:42 am
DrFeelGood says...

Thanks a lot. I have posted my link on your wall. Lets see if this help.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

While you're waiting for reviews, review yourself!

Seriously, reviewing does wonders to improve your own writing. You read a piece, say why you liked or didn't like it (that why is really important, because it lets people know what they did right and wrong), and that lets you know what you like and don't like in writing. As a result, more of what you like subconsciously creeps into your writing.

Also, write more. Even if you've not posted it, or will never post it, just keep writing every place you can. Writing is one of those many things that improves with volume.

Read published works. Read critically, read pieces you like, read pieces you don't. Review them like you would a piece on YWS. See the same improvements.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 am
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:While you're waiting for reviews, review yourself!

Seriously, reviewing does wonders to improve your own writing. You read a piece, say why you liked or didn't like it (that why is really important, because it lets people know what they did right and wrong), and that lets you know what you like and don't like in writing. As a result, more of what you like subconsciously creeps into your writing.

Also, write more. Even if you've not posted it, or will never post it, just keep writing every place you can. Writing is one of those many things that improves with volume.

Read published works. Read critically, read pieces you like, read pieces you don't. Review them like you would a piece on YWS. See the same improvements.

This I agree with. Reviewing really helped me!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

New Writer! =D

Okay... where to start?

Writing is an art that requires dedication and a craft that requires honing. I think this is a good place to start with writing because it means two things;

1) That as an art, there is no right or wrong. Your style and ideas are things that will come from inside you, and much of practice is learning to broaden your mind and overcome your inhibitions.

2) Learning the basic skills is like learning to pirouette in ballet or how to tie different knots as a scout. They won't make you a master, but they're basic necessities that will save you a lot of angst if you get the hang of them early.

If you go online and search for writing tips you'll find half a million lists of 'top ten tips' or 'fifteen tips to make you an amazing writer'. I'm not overly keen on these lists, however to save you the trouble I've scribbled down the ones that you're most likely to find on everyone's list in some form or another.

I reckon the most common one to come up is to keep a notebook. Here you can store ideas as they come, sketch out scenarios, e.c.t. And in general let your creativity go crazy.

The next one will be to show not tell which is a massive topic that half of the people who talk about it don't fully understand =p It's something to get a sense of rather than a rule, and may take a while. Don't stress this one too much when it comes up.

Read. Read lots. That's another favourite. Reading a lot will naturally expand your vocabulary, give you a good grip on grammar, introduce you to new styles, and all that jazz that results in a much more open mind.

The last that appears on almost every list is to write every day. This requires discipline and dedication, but it's the best way to ensure that new skills you use get utilised, but it'll also help to stop writers block.
We were born to be amazing.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats