z

Young Writers Society

Hello hello!

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:19 am
View Likes
JustAlice says...

Good afternoon (evening, morning, late-night-coffee-buzz, whatever), ladies and germs! I'm Alice and I'm your newest untried, untrained, and unseasoned literary recruit! I've been writing for a while but it gets a bit lonely sitting by yourself behind an unfriendly computer monitor, so I'm here with the intent of making a couple friends, and hopefully that'll be where you all come in!

I'm super friendly, quite a talker, and always more than pleased to get to know a couple of randos on the internets. I'm a big fan of harsh critiques for myself and a fan of giving out well-deserved praise to others. I'm an English/biology double major hoping I'm not too old for a 'young' writer's site (I can feel my back stiffening just at the thought). That being said, it also means that I'm a fairly kickin' editor if you're looking for someone who knows their way around old-school English lit or if you need a briefing on why, exactly, people pee more when they're drunk (hormones!).

So basically, that's me in a nutshell; hoping to build a friendship-base, hoping to help out where I can.

Hints and pointers as to the ins-and-outs of this lovely, overwhelming site, however, would never be amiss ;)

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 am
ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya Alice, welcome to YWS! :D

Right, so you seem perfect for the job of being a member of YWS ;). But seriously, it's absolutely fantastic that you have all this experience, and I'm sure you have some interesting stories to share! As you probably know on this site you can post up your own work and get reviews from other members (some can be harsh) and you can also return the favour by reviewing their work too (be harsh within limits!)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and I'd be happy to help! However if you feel it's something more serious you can PM a moderator of the site (their usernames are in green) or an admin of the site (their usernames are in red) and I'm sure they'd be happy to help too!

Finally, I'd like to introduce you to the Buddy System. It's a club where you can find a more experienced member of the site to be your mentor and guide you through the first par of your YWS journey- from helping you navigate the site to reviewing your works too!

Bye for now,
-Arc x
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:51 am
View Likes
JustAlice says...

Thanks. :) Everyone has been very welcoming so far and I'm grateful to have found a site with such a hospitable atmosphere.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:54 am
megsug says...

(Dang! Artic here beat me to the punch. Well... Here you go anyway.)
Hey there Alice!
I've been talking to you on chat, but I thought I might give a wave here as well.

I think a English/Bio double major is awesome. Are you planning to go into a career involving both of these subjects?

As far as hints and pointers, The Buddy System can be a real help! Users that have been on for a while can help you out with any questions you may have.

The mantra I heard as a new member was: if you want reviews, review. The more you review the more people will return the favor! (It sounds like you'll be a great reviewer)

Um... I can't think of anything else at the moment. xD If you have any questions, I would love to answer them for you! Let me welcome you again to YWS. I hope you find it easy to find a niche for you.
Megs~
Test

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:02 am
JustAlice says...

Hello again, friend!
Both subjects are really just things that interest me, that I'm passionate about. I am hoping to go into medicine when I finish my BA, though, and I'm pretty sure that both majors will help out there.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to get to reviewing as soon as my stupid, interfering real-life gets out of the way.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:18 am
ImHero says...

Hello Alice! Welcome to Young Writers Society! I am sure you will love it here! You seem like an intelligent, mature person so I am positive you are going to fit right in to the community. :) I would like to bring you a quote from Mark Twain about your age:
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

With that said I can also inform you that there are many, many people on this website and even though it says young, it doesn't mean anything! In fact, we could use your experiences in English so I wish to give a whole-hearted welcome and wish you the best with your biggest aspirations!

Welcome to the site and remember to message me if you would like a review of your writing. Also, message if you need help or just to message. :)

Your hero,
ImHero
new profile: profile.php?u=36729

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 am
JustAlice says...

That's comforting, thanks ;) It's a terrible thing when you start feeling old and you can't even legally drink yet.
I may take you up on that offer. I'm always a fan of making new friends!

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:36 am
Shady says...

Hey, Alice!

I thought I'd stop by to add my welcome to the list. c:

I think you and I will get along quite well! I hope to double major in creative writing and biology, so it looks like we've got some things to talk about. Feel free to message, PM, or Wall me anytime.I'm totally a mentor, too.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 am
JustAlice says...

Hiya! It's a weird major combo, but I feel like a lot of people do it. Go for it! It's a blast, once you get past the whole working-your-butt-off thing.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 am
crossroads says...

Hello, welcome c:

Arc and Megs already gave you the link to the Buddy System, and I can only second every word said in the posts above - and of course, feel more than free to let me know if you happen to need anything ;)

I'm curious, though, what do you write?

See you around ^^
Aria~
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 am
JustAlice says...

Hi Aria!
I write fiction, though within that it varies quite a lot. I'm usually into short stories, though I'm currently knee-deep in a hopeful-to-be-novel. And prose. Strictly prose. I dabbled once in poetry and it ended badly.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:02 am
crossroads says...

Haha, we're alike, then - I keep away from writing poetry, it's scary <.<

Can we know what you're (currently or in general) writing about? Any authors whose works inspired you?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:19 am
JustAlice says...

My current story sounds entirely useless in a three-sentence biopsy but is actually coming out well, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't want that to be your first impression of it. I'll get it up on here eventually and you can form your own opinions.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:04 pm
carbonCore says...

Hi Alice. Welcome.

If you post something and would like reviews on it, the best way to get them is to review other people's work. The second best is the WRFF section, where you can ask specific people for reviews on specific pieces. Here's mine.

Good luck.
_

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:30 pm
JustAlice says...

Hi! Thanks for the advise. :)

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec