z

Young Writers Society

Hey another newbie here!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:37 am
Valkyrie17 says...

Hello everybody!

On here my name is Valkyrie so feel free to refer to me as that or a variation of! If you have another name you want to call me then I don't mind to be honest as long as its awesome ! :smt003

Writing and reading are my life! I have been writing stories ever since I can remember and even from a young age they all seem to contain gore/horror of some kind or be a bit weird. That's what you can expect from any work I will be uploading in the future :wink:

I have recently discovered that I do indeed have a 'voice' inside my head that won't subside unless I let it out in a story! To me that's a sign of being a writer so I'm happy with this crazy revelation. 8)

As you can probably tell from the little bit I have said about the kind of stories I write, I enjoy reading dark fiction (and watching it too!). I have always loved the more sinister story than one that's full of love and fairy tales. Although that's not to say I don't enjoy a happy ending ; I just think that to get there there needs to be a few bumps along the way! :smt023

I am rambling sorry!

On a more personal note, I was raised in the same house for most of my life but last year I had to move out of my lovely home because of my parents getting a divorce. I am not looking for sympathy just explaining my background! :) Since then I have been constantly between two houses and just last week my dad had to move again so I am currently in the middle of settling into his new place - luckily it's the summer holidays! This also means I may not be able to put up any of my own work just yet but I can't wait to get something up and hear what you guys think of it!

I have picked up that reviewing is a major thing here which is great! I would love to review some work and am looking forward to doing so. Again I may not be able to do that right away because of recently moving, also I am a newbie to leaving sophisticated reviews so I am gonna hang back and study how to leave a great review! I already know I am not going to be great at reviewing lyrics or poetry so don't ask me to review them please. I am sure you want someone with more confidence in that area leaving a review :D

Anyway, feel free to ask me any questions about me! Oh and I know about the buddy club/mentor system so don't worry about letting me know. :)

Thanks for reading!

P.S I am looking forward to making new friends on here! I can't wait to get to know you all better :)

~ Valkyrie
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" ~ Oscar Wilde

"Love is a serious mental disease" ~ Plato

"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity" ~ Edgar Allan Poe

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am
Dreamy says...

Hello! Welcome to YWS!
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 pm
crossroads says...

Hello, welcome ;)

I'm looking forward to reading some of your writing, seeing we seem to share interests :3 Are there any books you particularly like? Movies, perhaps? *curious*

As about reviews, the most important thing is to be sincere and give your opinion, there isn't really much one can do wrong..

Feel more than free to let me know if you happen to need anything, and I hope to see you around~
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:51 pm
Payne says...

Welcome to YWS, Valkyrie! Excellent name.

I gotta say, I love your profile picture. :D Final Fantasy VIII is one of my favorite video games of all time.

I'm definitely interested in seeing some of your work; weird, dark, sinister...all qualities I like to see in a story. I look forward to seeing you around the site!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

28 Reviews

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:13 am
View Likes
Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you everyone for lovely welcome!

AriaAdams :
That's great! Hell, even I'm looking forward to posting my work. Although there is now pressure to produce something amazing to live up to the expectations I've set up. xD I am nervous yet excited to see how my work will be received. From the little bits I've read so far, the standard of the stories here is high which is a good thing! It's more 'serious' in the sense that people here want to be taken 'seriously' with their precious work. I think this is awesome and am so glad that I found a site like this. :D

I'm rambling again (I must try and cut down on that).

It's great to hear there is another crazy out there who is similar to me! And that's a difficult question to answer hmm...
With movies (off the top of my head) I'm going to say : Harry Potter, Batman, Sin City, Sucker Punch, most things Disney and Hunger Games to name a few.
With books, where do I start?
I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment and its already one of most treasured books! Recently I read Warm Bodies (don't judge the book by the movie trust me!), Girl Missing by Sophie McKenzie ( I think that is how you spell her name) and The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker which fits into the post-apocalyptic genre.
These few tittles really do not do justice to the amount I have read over the years and the books I have brought but hopefully it's a nice insight into the range of things I read. :) I know this is a thread about me but can I ask what particular books you have read and enjoyed? I am dying to spread my knowledge of amazing books I need to read!

Thanks for the tip and I will keep you in mind! Also I love the name Aria!!

Payne :

Thanks! It's nice to know someone else likes the name. :D
You have a great name too!

That's awesome! I'll admit I have only played FFX and FFX-2 and I love them both to death although I refuse to complete them. xD

Again I can't wait to show off my work and I am nervous about what you will make of it. If you can make any sense of it at all. xD

See you all around too! ~ Valkyrie

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 am
niteowl says...

Hi Valkyrie. Hm...crazy and rambling? You'll fit right in here. :P

About reviewing, I find the best way to improve as a reviewer is to start reviewing! If you're unsure where to start, I think the critique sandwich makes a good model. Link: The YWS Critique Sandwich
Plus by reviewing you get points so you can post your own stuff.

As for receiving reviews, I think this is a great place for quality feedback! There's a wide range of ages and experience levels, so reviews obviously vary, but for the most part people are friendly yet constructive. Reading other reviews gives you a good idea of what you'll get when you post.

Hopefully you get the hang of things soon! Now the fun part: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :x :P :evil: :twisted: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :smt001 :smt002 :smt003 :smt004 :pirate2: :pirate3: (: :smt006 :smt007 :smt008 :smt009 :smt010 :smt011 :smt012 :smt013 :smt014 :smt015 :smt016 :smt017 :smt019 :smt020 :smt021 :smt022 :smt023 :smt024 :smt026 :smt027 :smt028 :smt029 :smt031 :smt032 :smt034 :elephant:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 am
birk says...

Welcome Val ;)

I actually heard of the book Warm Bodies when it came out...thought it sounded stupid. Then the movie came and I thought it was ùber cute!

I've tried to begin reading my copy of Crime and Punishment for such a long time, but it all just seems so depressing.

Will check out your works when they appear. Hope you enjoy the site!
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 am
yubbies21 says...

Welcome! and like @niteowl said, You'll fit right in here!
beep

28 Reviews

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am
Valkyrie17 says...

@niteowl, that's great to hear! I hope my crazy rambling doesn't get out of control. :D Thanks for tips on reviewing. I have done one review so far which I think went ok so I'm just prepping myself for the next one! Commenting on grammar and spelling seems to be the thing most reviews talk about or mention which I'm a bit worried tackling as I'm not an expert. But I think I can pick up some things and improve along the way. Which is another reason why this site is so awesome. :D I will check out the link, thanks! Awe thanks for the gift too!! :D :D My favourite is the dancing elephant. :3

@Birkhoff, Thank you! And thanks for the nickname, I love it! :D
Warm Bodies was surprising good I have to say. I watched the movie first (a sin I know) and the movie is short and sweet whereas the book has more depth to it. It is still a 'cute' zombie book but it can be thought-provoking as you read about R changing and the little conversations he has with himself about society etc. I definately recommend it! It still has the cuteness of the movie as well. :3

As for Crime and Punishment... Maybe I really enjoy it because of its depressing side among other things. :D Personally, I think it is a beautifully written piece of work and I am very jealous I am not at that standard yet!

Thanks again and can't wait for you to read them!

@yubbies21 That's awesome! :D

~ Valkyrie

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:23 am
Willard says...

Welcome to YWS. I'm not that old (2 weeks) but I fit just right in and so you should too :)

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

28 Reviews

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am
Valkyrie17 says...

Thanks! It's cool that you have only been here two weeks and you already have a star! I am super jealous. :D Plus I love your name, is it a reference to something? I see Dr Strange and I think of Batman which I am kinda obsessed with. xD

~ Valkyrie

28 Reviews

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm
Valkyrie17 says...

Hey to anyone who wants to check it out I have finally uploaded my first piece! I wrote it a few years back so I have edited to improve it but I am sure there are a few mistakes still lying around in it. If you do check it out please point them out to me. And of course tell me what you think! :D

(There isn't a rule against double posting is there? Or have I just broken it? Sorry in advance if I have!)

~ Valkyrie

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm
Jonathan says...

Welcome to YWS. :D
There seems to be nothing written here. :shock:

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 pm
ImHero says...

Hey I find you very relatable to me! I have witnessed not only one very long prolonged divorce, but two! Growing up I can't say its defined me much only that I seem to have a more pessimistic view of relationships! Maybe you can share to me what its like and you can vent to me, 'cause often times that stuff gets nasty and you get caught in the crossfire, I know how that goes! So give me a message if you wish :)

As for reviews, yes. I think you should know what your talking about when you review but it also helps redefine your ideas and bias. and unfortunately it will be required when you submit more works because you use points when submitting. I'm sure you won't have too much of a problem, if you do I am here to help!

Welcome to YWS :)
new profile: profile.php?u=36729

28 Reviews

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 am
Valkyrie17 says...

Thanks @jordin !! :D

@ImHero : This may seem weirdly put but its nice to know that there is someone else here that has been/is in the same position as me. I totally agree. I to have a pessimistic view on relationships but I won't start ranting here. I know you have offered but I hope you don't mind if I do decided to send you a message? I don't have anyone close to me that been through something similar so it would be great to talk to you about it all. ^^ I have a lot of new views on life that I haven't shared yet. You may be the first one!

Yeah I saw that coming so I planned to do a bunch of reviews so I had a ton of points stocked up but... that has failed already as I desperately want to a great a piece of work posted but don't have enough points. :( Didn't help that I accidently forgot to mark one of my reviews as a review so I didn't get any points for it. D:

Thanks for the the welcome! :D ~ Valkyrie

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest