z

Young Writers Society

Insert Generic Introduction Title Here

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 am
ktarantino says...

I’m here to use you all as guinea pigs for my future experimental online entrepreneurship...Just kidding, well kind of. In truth i’m not all the young (if being 22 makes me really old here) and I’m not the next William Shakespeare. I do, however, pride myself for trying really hard!

All the basic jazz--I’m an English major, a waitress, an online copywriter for a unique gift store, an equestrian, an amateur poet, and a trapeze artist. One of those is incorrect but you take your best guess.

I’m here because I began a crusade a few month ago to try to get young people in my community excited about writing poetry. My crusade failed miserable with an unsuccessful blog, lots of unreturned emails and phone calls, and a few very dirty looks from very annoyed high school students who thought I was wasting their home room time with my blabbering.

After losing faith in my ability to inspire others to write I found a silver lining--the online community! I found you guys here and realize that there are, somewhere out there, young people who believe in the power of their words. So, I plan on lurking around this site to gain insight and inspiration for my next attempt at public service through writing. Until then I’d love to be a part of the community and help where I can. I love critiquing poetry and working with other poets so I’m sure that I will be dropping by your posts and letting you all know what’s up! Feel free to chat or ask any insanity of questions. :]

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm
Iggy says...

Welcome to YWS! Guinea pigs? Why?! Dx

Please be sure to check out the site rules if you haven't already. :)

I'd like to introduce you to The Buddy System! It's a place where mentors like me can help out newbies like you! I hope you go have a look and see you around! Please, if you need anything, feel free to post on my wall or PM me. :-)

Cheers!

- Ariel.~
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm
Skydreamer says...

My guess of the incorrect one would be "amateur poet" ;) Glad to have another poetry reviewer here! I love poetry! So much. Maybe you could give me some pointers? :)
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Hi ktarantino! :smt039

Welcome to YWS!

Firstly, pffft 22 is not old! There's actually a pretty wide age range of people on this website spanning for about 12-30! This website is a really good site for improving your writing by getting critiques from other users; and returning the favour by giving feedback on other work too!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or a member in green! (They are moderators of the site) for guaranteed answers to your questions. This site is fairly easy to navigate around, but I too got a bit confused when I first joined xD.

So, I hope to see you around!
-Arc
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri May 31, 2013 3:33 am
Meshugenah says...

Yay, poetry! Yay English major!

And you're younger than me :P

Obviously, the lie is that you're not an amateur poet. You actually write fiction. Yep. The poetry stuff is all a ruse.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri May 31, 2013 5:31 am
Sapi says...

Well, don't you just sound awesome! :D Welcome to YWS! (And no, you're not OLD old :P, there are lots of teens but also lots of adults on this site).

You came to the right place, for sure. YWS is a wonderful community and a wonderful resource for all of us. There are tons of poets on this site, which means tons of poetry to review and tons of poetry friends! :D For example, just take a look at the Poetry Club.

As far as the wrong one out, my guess is, for some random reason....the online copywriter one? :P

Anyways, welcome welcome welcome! You will absolutely love YWS, I already know it, for, the looks of things. So, have fun!

~Sapi
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm
ktarantino says...

Thanks for all the welcomes! Life has been busy the past few weeks so I haven't been back here in a little while. However the incorrect one is that I am not a trapeze artist. I actually am a copy writer for a gift store that specializes in handmade, fair trade and sustainable products. :) I look forward to seeing you all around!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 am
Hannah says...

-Insert generic welcome text-

Anyway, you're not super old~ I'm the same age, but I joined when I was technically in the target audience, so. haha.

It's really hard to get kids interested in things that not only THEY have no prior interest in, but that society usually tells them is frilly and unnecessary, if they've heard about poetry at all. Even though now I totally hate rhyming poetry, I can see the reason we're introduced to it first: it sounds fun and it's easier to memorize.

I think one thing you might consider to get students interested could be the concept of compound words? I remember feeling way more free to create my own in poetry, when trying to come up with a new feeling that was halfway between notes. So you have regular ones like birdhouse and sunglasses, but what would they make if they could make new ones? That might open them up to thinking creatively before starting a more demanding project on poetry.

In any case, welcome! :D Message me if you have any questions at all~
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud